Luke Carlson (Luke @ DiscoverStrength.com) is the founder and CEO of Discover Strength, a fast growing personal training business based in Minneapolis and four other personal training facilities in Minnesota. Discover Strength offers a variety of strength training sessions facilitated by educated and expert trainers. Their personal training facilities are among the highest volume/revenue training facilities in the United States.
Once a year, Luke and the Discover Strength team host the Resistance Exercise Conference. The conference provides incredible keynotes on exercise science and HIT business (like Dr Doug McGuf and Dr James Fisher), and life changing networking opportunities, which will retool and inspire you to take your personal training career to the next level and exceed your business goals.
In this episode, Luke Carlson talks about Discover Strength’s client training program, workout volume and frequency, exercise intensity and much more.
Enjoy the show using buttons and links below!
- Listen to it on Apple Podcasts
- Stream by clicking here
- Download as an MP3 by right-clicking here and choosing “save as”
This episode is brought to you by ARXFit.com, ARX are the most innovative, efficient and effective all-in-one exercise machines I have ever seen. I was really impressed with my ARX workout. The intensity and adaptive resistance were unlike anything I’ve ever experienced. I love how the machine enables you to increase the negative load to fatigue target muscles more quickly and I love how the workouts are effortlessly quantified. The software tracks maximum force output, rate of work, total amount of work done and more in front of you on-screen, allowing you to compete with your pervious performance, to give you and your clients real-time motivation.
As well as being utilized by many HIT trainers to deliver highly effective and efficient workouts to their clients, ARX comes highly recommended by world-class trainers and brands including Bulletproof, Tony Robbins, and Ben Greenfield Fitness. To find out more about ARX and get $500 OFF install, please go to ARXFit.com and mention “High Intensity Business” in the how did you hear about us field – ORDER HERE
- 3:12 – Discover Strength’s client training program
- 10:32 – Best volume and frequency for client workouts
- 24:33 – Nautilus Nitro Leg Press experience
- 26:46 – How often should you train clients per week
- 33:13 – Should you train your clients hard?
- 41:16 – Importance of being trained by other trainers
Selected Links from the Episode
- Discover Strength
- Washington Redskins
- National Football League (NFL)
- Body by Science: A Research Based Program for Strength Training, Body building, and Complete Fitness in 12 Minutes a Week by Doug McGuff and John Little
- Super Slow Protocol
- Mint Fitness
- Nautilus Nitro Leg Press
- Vital Exercise
- Resistance Exercise Conference (REC)
- Steve Wetzel
- Dan Riley
- Arthur Jones
- Dr. Doug McGuff (Listen to my episodes with Doug here: Part 1, Part 2, Part 3, Part 4, and Part 5)
- Ken Hutchins
- Matt Brzycki
- Dr. Ellington Darden
- Matthew Nairn
- Ted Harrison (Listen to my episodes with Ted here: Part 1, Part 2, Part 3 and Part 4)
- Bill DeSimone (Listen to my episodes with Bill here: Part 1, Part 2 and Part 3)
- John Little (Listen to my episodes with John here: Part 1, Part 2, Part 3 and Part 4)
- Dr. James Fisher (Listen to my episodes with James here: Part 1, Part 2, Part 3, Part 4 and Part 5)
- Steve Ritz (Listen to my episode with Steve HERE)
- David Gschneidner
- Fred Hahn (Listen to my episodes with Fred here: Part 1 and Part 2)
- Bill Crawford (Listen to my episodes with Bill here: Part 1 and Part 2)
- Jim Flanagan (Listen to my episodes with Jim here: Part 1 and Part 2)
Listen to Luke Carlson’s other appearances on the podcast:
- Discover Strength CEO, Luke Carlson on How to Build a Successful HIT Business, Forced Reps vs Unassisted MMF and Minimalist Marathon Training
- What Luke Carlson has Learned about Exercise after Collecting a Ton of Data and Running Large Scale Experiments
- James Fisher and Luke Carlson – The Keys to Running a Successful Business, Optimizing Your Workouts for Strength and Mass Gains, and the Busy Person’s Guide to Working Out
- Luke Carlson on How to Run and Scale Your Fitness Business in the Smartest and Most Effective Ways Possible
- Luke Carlson – How To Generate More Revenue In Your High Intensity Training Business
- Luke Carlson – How To Delegate In Your High Intensity Strength Training Business
- Luke Carlson – How To Efficiently Utilise Your Exercise Machine Lines For Maximum Profit
- Luke Carlson – How to Attract and Keep Great Personal Trainers in your HIT Business Part 1
- Luke Carlson – How to Attract and Keep Great Personal Trainers in your HIT Business Part 2
- Luke Carlson – Are you a Personal Trainer or a Business Owner?