One of the best ways to start and grow a business successfully is to study those who have done just that. In this episode of Corporate Warrior, joining us for his fourth go-around is Luke Carlson, a Certified Exercise Physiologist and Kinesiologist, Cancer Exercise Specialist, and most importantly, the founder and CEO of one of the most successful high-intensity training businesses in world, Discover Strength.
Luke’s expertise in business, leadership, and evidence-based resistance exercise is highly sought-after and has led to speaking engagements all over the world in events such as Filex Australia, TaiSPO in Taiwan, the Annual IHRSA Convention, the IHRSA European Congress, the Fitness Leaders Summit, China Fit, Mindbody Bold, and the Vistage Executive Summit.
In this episode, we talk about how Luke approaches managing his time, his actions, his mindset, and everything else in between with regard to what it takes to run a large and still-growing HIT business in the smartest, most effective ways possible.
Check out The Real HIT Experience: An Intensive, 2-Day Course with Luke Carlson and Jim Flanagan on High Intensity Training and the Proven Business Systems to Take Your Personal Training Business to the Next Level – Click here
In this episode, we cover:
- How to be an effective leader by understanding what you should focus and work on
- The mindset, culture, and systems you need to establish in order for your business to scale well and continuously succeed
- Smart and effective ways of managing time, delegating work, getting feedback, and getting things done on a large scale
- How Discover Strength trains people of different ages and varying backgrounds, from 1-on-1 sessions to small group settings
- … and much more!
- Listen to it on iTunes.
- Stream by clicking here.
- Download as an MP3 by right-clicking here and choosing “save as”.
This episode is brought to you by ARXFit.com, ARX are the most innovative, efficient and effective all-in-one exercise machines I have ever seen. I was really impressed with my ARX workout. The intensity and adaptive resistance were unlike anything I’ve ever experienced. I love how the machine enables you to increase the negative load to fatigue target muscles more quickly and I love how the workouts are effortlessly quantified. The software tracks maximum force output, rate of work, total amount of work done and more in front of you on-screen, allowing you to compete with your pervious performance, to give you and your clients real-time motivation.
As well as being utilised by many HIT trainers to deliver highly effective and efficient workouts to their clients, ARX comes highly recommended by world-class trainers and brands including Bulletproof, Tony Robbins, and Ben Greenfield Fitness. To find out more about ARX and get $1,000 OFF software licensing fees, please go to ARXfit.com and mention Corporate Warrior in the how did you hear about us field.
This episode is brought to you by the Resistance Exercise Conference – The science and application of strength training for health and human performance.
Would you like to:
- Learn from the top strength training researchers?
- Network and connect with other exercise professionals from all over the world?
- Join a welcome reception on Friday night to build relationships with other strength training professionals?
- Experience an early morning workout from an expert trainer to kick start your Saturday?
- And get inspired, rejuvenated and focused on your strength training business?
I certainly do and that is why I am attending and interviewing all of the speakers at the event.
The resistance exercise conference will be held on the 9th and 10th of March 2018 in Minneapolis, Minnesota at The Commons Hotel.
To get 10% off your entry fee, head on over to ResistanceExerciseConference.com, click the registration button and enter corporatewarrior10 in the promo code field in PayPal.
I’m very excited about this and have wanted to attend for years. Sign up now at ResistanceExerciseConference.com, get 10% off with promo code corporatewarrior10 and I look forward to meeting you in person!
Subscribe to my emails to get a FREE HIT workout progress sheet and eBook with 6 podcast transcripts with guests like Dr. Doug McGuff, Drew Baye, and Skyler Tanner – Click here
QUESTION(S) OF THE DAY: What part of starting, running, or growing a HIT business are you most worried about, if you’ve ever considered doing so? Please let me know in the comments at the bottom of this post.
Click the link below to listen from the exact time stamp on Overcast:
- Catching up with Luke and how Discover Strength has been doing these days [5:10]
- What’s the right way to approach setting business goals for your organization? (On metrics and revenue goals) [6:31]
- What motivates Luke Carlson to get out there and do what he does? [9:43]
- Luke’s approach to learning and processing information [12:50]
- How to have productive meetings that actually solve issues and don’t waste everyone’s time [14:40]
- Luke talks about how and why Discover Strength uses Net Promoter Scores [18:09]
- Luke talks about analyzing constraints and how to solve big issues that might stop or slow the growth of your business [24:20]
- What does a week look like for Luke, on the average? [29:27]
- Luke talks about his two favourite time management hacks [30:54]
- How does Luke decide which things go into his 3 most important tasks of the day? [37:08]
- Luke and I talk about the personality factor and the importance of knowing what to focus on [40:49]
- What’s one of the biggest constraints that can hamper the growth of most entrepreneurs and organizations? [42:36]
- On work-life balance (and why you should schedule leisure and relaxation time) [43:59]
- Luke’s approach to email and communications [46:12]
- Luke’s approach to social media and reactive versus proactive content consumption [47:39]
- Luke Carlson on Leadership [51:02]
- How can a leader inspire his people to buy in and follow his vision? [53:46]
- On providing effective performance feedback and reviews (and how and why Luke cultivates a culture of brutal honesty at Discover Strength) [54:40]
- Discover Strength’s approach to small group workouts [1:00:20]
- On tailoring strength training protocols and workouts for clients with orthopedic issues and problems [1:05:35]
- What type of strength training protocols and regimens would Luke recommend for seniors over the age of 70? [1:08:51]
- On lighter weights and higher reps versus heavier weights and lower reps for older trainees with lower bone mineral density [1:11:00]
- How should younger trainees approach strength training if they want to improve and preserve bone mineral density later in life? [1:13:09]
- Luke gives a preview of what you can expect from the upcoming Resistance Exercise Conference [1:14:34]
- Luke’s book recommendations [1:18:07]
- Luke talks about his quarterly 2-day deep dive into the HIT business course [1:20:32]
Selected Links from the Episode
- The Pareto Principle / The 80/20 rule
- Starbucks | Website
- Corporate Warrior Podcast #91: Dr. Teresa Liu-Ambrose on The Cognitive Health Benefits of High Intensity Training
- Corporate Warrior Podcast #49: Brad Schoenfeld on Periodization, De-loading, Optimally Targeting Type-1 and Type-2 Muscle Fibers, and Optimizing for Hypertrophy and Muscle Growth
- Corporate Warrior Podcast #90: Dr. Stuart Philips on Using Strength Training to Deal With Sarcopenia, Optimal Daily Protein Intake, and Making Sense of The Many Different Resistance Training Protocols
- Key Performance Indicator (KPI)
- Net Promoter | Net Promoter System Website | Net Promoter Network Website
- Everything you need to know about Net Promoter Score (NPS) in 2020 – Complete guide
- Bain & Company | Website
- Tesla, Inc. | Website
- Apple | Website
- The Ultimate Question 2.0: How Net Promoter Companies Thrive in a Customer-Driven World by Fred Reichheld and Rob Markey ( Amazon US / Amazon UK )
- Google Docs | Website
- Mastering the Rockefeller Habits: What You Must Do to Increase the Value of Your Growing Firm by Verne Harnish ( Amazon US / Amazon UK )
- Scaling Up: How a Few Companies Make It…and Why the Rest Don’t (Rockefeller Habits 2.0) by Verne Harnish ( Amazon US / Amazon UK )
- Google Calendar | Website
- iCal (Calendar by Apple)
- Great Ceos Are Lazy: How Exceptional Ceos Do More in Less Time by Jim Schleckser ( Amazon US | Audiobook / Amazon UK | Audiobook )
- StrengthsFinder 2.0 by Tom Rath ( Amazon US / Amazon UK )
- University of Minnesota | Website | Minnesota Golden Gophers football | Website
- Slack | Website
- Minnesota Vikings | Website
- Snapchat | Website
- Tools of Titans: The Tactics, Routines, and Habits of Billionaires, Icons, and World-Class Performers by Tim Ferriss ( Amazon US / Amazon UK )
- The Five Minute Journal: A Happier You in 5 Minutes a Day ( Amazon US / Amazon UK )
- The Five Minute Journal App
- MindSet: The New Psychology of Success by Carol Dweck ( Amazon US / Amazon UK )
- National Football League (NFL) | Website
- MedX Exercise Equipment | MedX Leg Extension Machine
- Study: A comparison of volume equated knee extensions to failure, or not to failure, upon rating of perceived exertion and strength adaptations (James Fisher, James Steele, et al)
- Chicago Bulls | Website
- Titan: The Life of John D. Rockefeller, Sr. by Ron Chernow ( Amazon US / Amazon UK )
- The Four: The Hidden DNA of Amazon, Apple, Facebook and Google by Scott Galloway ( Amazon US / Amazon UK )
- The Greatest Business Decisions of All Time: How Apple, Ford, IBM, Zappos, and others made radical choices that changed the course of business by Verne Harnish ( Amazon US / Amazon UK )
- The 22 Immutable Laws of Marketing: Violate Them at Your Own Risk! by Al Ries and Jack Trout ( Amazon US | Audiobook / Amazon UK | Audiobook )
- Skyler Tanner (Listen to previous episodes with Skyler here: Part 1, Part 2, Part 3, Part 4, and Part 5)
- Howard Schultz | Website
- Dr. Teresa Liu Ambrose (Listen to the episode with Teresa here)
- Dr. Brad Schoenfeld (Listen to previous episodes with Brad here: Part 1 and Part 2)
- Dr. Stuart Phillips (Listen to the episode with Stuart here)
- Brandon Jonker
- Hannah Stael von Holstein
- Verne Harnish | Linkedin
- Lucia Palmer
- Peter Drucker | Website
- Tim Ferriss | Website
- Carol Dweck | Website
- Bill DeSimone (Listen to our episodes here: Part 1 and Part 2)
- Dr. James Fisher (Listen to previous interviews with James here: Part 1, Part 2, and Part 3)
- Dr. James Steele (Listen to our episodes here: Part 1 and Part 2)
- Dr. Wayne L. Westcott
- Jim Flanagan
- Dr. Ellington Darden
- Kim Wood
- Fred Hahn (Listen to my interview with Fred here)