One of Arthur Jones’ closest colleagues and a legendary figure in the fitness world in his own right, Jim Flanagan is a career physical fitness educator and President of Resistance Solutions Inc. Jim was an instrumental figure for both Nautilus and MedX, and as a well-regarded and knowledgeable expert in high-intensity training, he has consulted and shared his expertise with sport coaches and athletes at the collegiate, professional, and Olympic levels, as well as with bodybuilders, movie stars, military agencies, and government officials.
Jim was also recently inducted into the National Fitness Museum’s Hall of Fame as part of the Class of 2017, taking his place with other legendary health and fitness figures and luminaries such as Joe Weider, Arnold Schwarzenegger, and of course, Arthur Jones himself.
- The Real HIT Experience Official Website
- The Real HIT Experience on Facebook
- Jim Flanagan’s Resistance Solutions, Inc. on Linkedin
- Jim Flanagan on Linkedin
- Jim Flanagan at the National Fitness Hall of Fame Museum & Institute
In this episode, we cover:
- The rise of Nautilus, MedX, and High-Intensity Training
- The lessons on business and success that Jim learned from Arthur
- How Jim learned to be a good public speaker and salesman
- … and much more!
- Listen to it on iTunes.
- Stream by clicking here.
- Download as an MP3 by right-clicking here and choosing “save as”.
This episode is brought to you by Hituni.com, providers of the best online courses in high intensity training that come highly recommended by Dr. Doug McGuff and Discover Strength CEO, Luke Carlson. Course contributors include world-class exercise experts like Drew Baye, Ellington Darden and Skyler Tanner. There are courses for both trainers and trainees. So even if you’re not a trainer but someone who practices HIT, this course can help you figure out how to improve your progress and get best results. Check out Hituni.com, add the course you want to your shopping cart and enter the coupon code ‘CW10’ to get 10% off your purchase!
This episode is brought to you by ARXFit.com, ARX are the most innovative, efficient and effective all-in-one exercise machines I have ever seen. I was really impressed with my ARX workout. The intensity and adaptive resistance were unlike anything I’ve ever experienced. I love how the machine enables you to increase the negative load to fatigue target muscles more quickly and I love how the workouts are effortlessly quantified. The software tracks maximum force output, rate of work, total amount of work done and more in front of you on-screen, allowing you to compete with your pervious performance, to give you and your clients real-time motivation.
As well as being utilised by many HIT trainers to deliver highly effective and efficient workouts to their clients, ARX comes highly recommended by world-class trainers and brands including Bulletproof, Tony Robbins, and Ben Greenfield Fitness. To find out more about ARX and get $1,000 OFF software licensing fees, please go to ARXfit.com and mention Corporate Warrior in the how did you hear about us field.
Subscribe to my emails to get a FREE HIT workout progress sheet and eBook with 6 podcast transcripts with guests like Dr. Doug McGuff, Drew Baye, and Skyler Tanner – Click here
QUESTION(S) OF THE DAY: Have you ever worked with anyone who has had a big, positive impact on your life in some way? What was it like? Please let me know in the comments at the bottom of this post.
Click the link below to listen from the exact time stamp on Overcast:
- The story of how Jim got into strength training [6:19]
- How Jim met Arthur Jones [11:09]
- Jim talks about starting his own Nautilus facility, getting into personal training, and the first few business lessons he learned [17:02]
- How Arthur Jones marketed and successfully popularized Nautilus in the face of mainstream criticism [20:30]
- How Arthur gradually brought Jim under his wing and along for the ride with the nascent, burgeoning business of Nautilus [21:38]
- On having the mercurial, straight-shooting Arthur Jones as his mentor [26:17]
- Jim talks about his experiences with Arthur Jones, both as a business partner and one of his closest friends, and the three things Jim preaches as being critical to success [31:52]
- Arthur Jones’ pointers on how to win over a crowd when you have a public speaking engagement [37:51]
- Jim talks about the importance of focus and building relationships [40:13]
- Did Jim ever have any awkward moments or experiences with Arthur? [42:32]
- Jim tells the story of how MedX came to be (and the hard, valuable life lessons Jim learned) [50:23]
- Jim talks about The Real HIT Experience, what it’s like working with Luke Carlson, and how you can make your business better [57:28]
- Jim’s parting thoughts and observations on the athletic world and today’s fitness industry [1:03:08]
Selected Links from the Episode
- Strength and Health Magazine
- York Barbell
- Muscle & Fitness | Website
- University of Central Florida | Website
- Arizona State University | Website
- Iron Man Magazine | Website
- Mr. America
- John Turner’s Arthur Jones Archive Website
- Tampa Bay Buccaneers | Website
- Cincinnati Bengals | Website
- Project Total Conditioning – West Point Case Study by Dr. James Peterson (et al)
- University of California, Los Angeles (UCLA) | Website
- Coach Wooden’s Pyramid of Success by John Wooden and Jay Carty ( Amazon US / Amazon UK )
- MedX Exercise Equipment
- Marriott Hotels | Website
- Kieser Training
- Mr. Universe
- Bilateral Transfer
- National Athletic Trainer’s Association (NATA) | Website
- Resistance Exercise Conference
- Luke Carlson | Website (Listen to previous episodes with Luke here: Part 1, Part 2, Part 3, and Part 4)
- Bob Hoffman
- Joe Weider | Website
- Charles Atlas | Website
- Henry “Milo” Steinborn | Henry Steinborn at Legendary Strength
- Dick Steinborn
- Peary Rader
- Arnold Schwarzenegger | Website
- Arthur Jones
- Steve Klisanin
- John Turner (Arthur Jones Archivist)
- Don Shula
- Dick Butkus
- Kim Wood
- Pete Brown
- Paul Brown
- Dr. Ellington Darden
- Bobby Knight
- John Wooden
- Dr. Vert Mooney
- Werner Kieser | Website
- Casey Viator | Website