Dr Doug McGuff (@DougMcGuff / Instagram: ultimate_exercise_) is widely considered the foremost expert in exercise on the planet today. Doug practices full-time emergency medicine with Blue Ridge Emergency Physicians and owns, Ultimate Exercise, where he and his instructors continue to explore the limits of exercise through their personal training of clients. Doug regularly posts his exercise findings and experiences on his blog, BodyByScience.net and provides consultancy and other products and services on DrMcGuff.com.
Doug’s popularity exploded with the release of his ground-breaking book, Body By Science, which he published with John Little. More recently, Doug, alongside Dr Robert P. Murphy, published The Primal Prescription: Surviving The “Sick Care” Sinkhole. This book is an expose on medical care, shows you how to get the best care when you really need it, and is a prescription for wellness, longevity and personal accountability.
This interview was possibly my best yet.
- Listen to it on iTunes.
- Stream by clicking here.
- Download as an MP3 by right-clicking here and choosing “save as”.
This episode is brought to you by Hituni.com, providers of the best online courses in high intensity training that come highly recommended by Dr Doug McGuff and Discover Strength CEO, Luke Carlson. Course contributors include world class exercise experts like Drew Baye, Ellington Darden and Skyler Tanner. There are courses for both trainers and trainees. So even if you’re not a trainer but someone who practices HIT, this course can help you figure out how to improve your progress and get best results. Check out Hituni.com, add the course you want to your shopping cart and enter the coupon code ‘CW10’ to get 10% off your purchase!
For my FREE eBook with 6 podcast transcripts with guests like Dr Doug McGuff, Drew Baye and Skyler Tanner – Click here ????
- What were the key findings that Doug took away from the Engines of our lives – Workout 2015 congress in Dresden? [6:00]
- Doug talks about his new book: The Primal Prescription: Surviving The “Sick Care” Sinkhole [8:10]
- What Does Doug think about ARXFit equipment? [11:02]
- Doug’s view on multiple sets to failure vs single sets to failure for hypertrophy [14:26]
- What protocol does Doug start people on and how does he manage their progress? [18:25]
- A new perspective on ‘sticking points’ and how to approach workouts when one reaches a plateau [21:30]
- Is there specific circumstances where a second set is worthwhile on an exercise? [29:10]
- How to grow a personal training business [34:40]
- What calorie surplus does one need to optimise hypertrophy? [38:23]
- Does Doug still fast and consume BCAAs before and after workouts? [41:15]
- The difference in stress tolerance between the young and old [43:00]
- What exercise, nutritional or lifestyle hacks does Doug employ? [48:17]
- How should a vegetarian supplement, if at all, on the Slow Carb Diet? [55:10]
- What has Doug changed his mind about in the last year? [1:02:50]
- What would Doug change about Body By Science? [1:07:35]
- What is Doug’s next book going to be about? [1:10:20]
- What advice would Doug give his twenty-year-old self? [1:12:00]
- What does Doug believe that other people think is insane? [1:14:22]
- If Doug had a billboard, what would it say and where would he put it? [1:16:20]
Selected Links from the Episode
- 12 Minutes Once A Week (Doug’s presentation in Dresden)
- Nautilus Bulletin #2
- Ultimate Exercise (Doug’s gym)
- Body by Science: A Research Based Program for Strength Training, Body building, and Complete Fitness in 12 Minutes a Week by Dr Doug McGuff and John R. Little
- The Primal Prescription: Surviving The “Sick Care” Sinkhole by Dr Doug McGuff and Robert P. Murphy
- The Primal Blueprint: Reprogram your genes for effortless weight loss, vibrant health, and boundless energy (Primal Blueprint Series) by Mark Sisson
- ARXFit Equipment
- Keith Norris on Autoregulation
- The Bulletproof Diet: Lose up to a Pound a Day, Reclaim Energy and Focus, Upgrade Your Life by Dave Asprey
- The 4 Hour Body: An Uncommon Guide to Rapid Fat Loss, Incredible Sex and Becoming Superhuman by Tim Ferriss
- Robert P. Murphy
- Mark Sisson
- Denise Minger
- Keith Norris
- Simon Shawcross
- James Steele
- Tim Ferriss
- Arthur Jones
If you enjoyed this interview, please consider leaving a review (it really helps to promote the podcast):
- Click here to leave a review on iTunes (click ‘View in iTunes’ and then go to iTunes and click ‘Ratings and Reviews’)
- Click here to leave a review on Stitcher (scroll halfway down and click ‘Write a review’ above the list of reviews on the right hand side).
QUESTION(S) OF THE DAY: What questions do you have about high intensity strength training that we didn’t discuss in this podcast? Please let me know in the comments below.