Dr Doug McGuff (@DougMcGuff / Instagram: ultimate_exercise_) is frequently labeled as one of the world’s top experts on exercise and in particular, high intensity strength training. Doug practices full-time emergency medicine with Blue Ridge Emergency Physicians and owns, Ultimate Exercise, where he and his instructors continue to explore the limits of exercise through their personal training of clients. Doug regularly posts his exercise thoughts and findings on his blog and YouTube channel, and provides consultancy and other products and services via DrMcGuff.com.
Doug’s popularity exploded with the release of his ground-breaking book, Body By Science, which he published with John Little. Soon after, Dr McGuff and Dr Robert P. Murphy published The Primal Prescription: Surviving The “Sick Care” Sinkhole, an expose on medical care, how to get the best care when you really need it, and a prescription for wellness, longevity and personal accountability.
This was an eclectic episode that touched on a number of different areas. As this may be the last interview I do with Doug for a while (he’s incredibly busy), I took this opportunity to go beyond strength training to talk about things like investing, cryptocurrency, success and even relationships. Doug provides a very intelligent and thoughtful perspective on all of these topics and more. I look forward to listening to this interview again and again. I hope you will feel the same.
This was one of the most profound conversations I’ve had in my entire life.
“took me 3 years to read the book … it is astounding. If you get that book … the best way is just drop it and let it open on any random page and blindly take your finger and drop it down on any sentence and read that sentence, and I don’t care where you land in that book or what sentence you land on, you’ll read that sentence and you’ll be like … WOW, that is profound.”
– Dr Doug McGuff on Human Action: A Treatise on Economics by Ludwig Von Mises
In this episode, we discuss:
- Workout Volume and frequency
- The Placebo Effect
- Neck training (machine vs manual resistance)
- The practical application of scientific literature on exercise (and in general)
- What calorie surplus is required for optimising muscle gain?
- Extreme fat loss and losing that “last bit”
- Relationships with women
- The ultimate reading list
- … and more 😀
- Listen to it on iTunes.
- Stream by clicking here.
- Download as an MP3 by right-clicking here and choosing “save as”.
This episode is brought to you by the Resistance Exercise Conference – The science and application of strength training for health and human performance. You will learn from the top strength training researchers, connect with exercise professionals from all over the world, get a workout from an expert trainer and get inspired, rejuvenated and focused on your strength training business. You will get the chance to chat with guys like Dr James Fisher, Luke Carlson, and Jim Flanagan. I will be attending with many of the Corporate Warrior listeners and I’d love to meet you in person. The resistance exercise conference will be held on the 9th and 10th of March 2018 in Minneapolis, Minnesota at The Graduate Hotel.
I’m very excited about this and have wanted to attend for years. Sign up now at ResistanceExerciseConference.com, get 10% off your entry fee and $50 off your stay at the Graduate Hotel (normally $160 per night) with promo code corporatewarrior10 and I look forward to meeting you in person!
Quickly! The Graduate Hotel discount is only available till February 9th 2018
Subscribe to my emails to get a FREE HIT workout progress sheet and eBook with 6 podcast transcripts with guests like Dr. Doug McGuff, Drew Baye, and Skyler Tanner – Click here
Selected Links from the Episode
- Body by Science: A Research Based Program for Strength Training, Body building, and Complete Fitness in 12 Minutes a Week by Dr Doug McGuff and John R. Little ( Amazon US / Amazon UK )
- The Primal Prescription: Surviving The “Sick Care” Sinkhole by Doug McGuff MD and Robert P. Murphy ( Amazon US / Amazon UK )
- Josh Waitzkin on The Tim Ferriss Show – Part 1 and Part 2
- Game of Thrones
- Dr Doug McGuff – Volume and Frequency
- Dr Doug McGuff – The Graveyard and the Invisible Majority
- Project Kratos
- Keiser Training
- Ageless Athlete
- Branched chain amino acids ( Amazon US / Amazon UK )
- Robert Francis instructs Medx Mark Neck
- Effect Size
- Amelia Boone on Beating 99% of Men and Suffering for High Performance
- Principles: Life and Work by Ray Dalio ( Amazon US / Amazon UK )
- Dr Darden’s HIT (post on me)
- Richard Nikoley is creating how-tos for making money in Bitcoin and other cryptocurrency
- Zero Carb Diet
- Intermittent Fasting
- Gary Knight on the Pointlessness of Periodisation, Objective Ways to Maximise Gains and Extreme Fat Loss on 50-days of McDonalds
- The Red Queen: Sex and the Evolution of Human Nature by Matt Ridley ( Amazon US / Amazon UK )
- The Black Swan: Second Edition: The Impact of the Highly Improbable: With a new section: “On Robustness and Fragility” by Nassim Nicholas Taleb ( Amazon US / Amazon UK )
- Antifragile: Things That Gain from Disorder (Incerto) by Nassim Nicholas Taleb ( Amazon US / Amazon UK )
- The True Believer: Thoughts on the Nature of Mass Movements by Eric Hoffer ( Amazon US / Amazon UK )
- Economics in One Lesson: The Shortest and Surest Way to Understand Basic Economics by Henry Hazlitt ( Amazon US / Amazon UK )
- Human Action: A Treatise on Economics by Ludwig Von Mises ( Amazon US / Amazon UK )
- The Fountainhead by Ayn Rand ( Amazon US / Amazon UK )
- Succeeding by John T. Reed ( Amazon US / Amazon UK )
- Josh Waitzkin
- Dr. Ted Naiman (Listen to my episodes with Ted here: Part 1 and Part 2)
- Dr. James Steele (Listen to my episodes with James here: Part 1, Part 2, and Part 3)
- Drew Baye (Listen to my episodes with Drew here: Part 1, Part 2, Part 3, Part 4, Part 5, Part 6)
- Dr. James Fisher (Listen to my episodes with James here: Part 1, Part 2, and Part 3)
- Richard Winett (Listen to my episodes with Richard here: Part 1 and Part 2)
- Terry Carter
- Brian Johnston (Listen to my episode with Bryan here)
- Robert Francis
- Ken Hutchins
- Dr. Brad Schoenfeld (Listen to my episodes with Brad here: Part 1 and Part 2)
- Ryan Hall (Listen to my episodes with Ryan here: Part 1, Part 2, Part 3 and Part 4)
- Nassim Nicholas Taleb
- Amelia Boone
- Ray Dalio
- Wendy McGuff (Listen to my episode here)
- Richard Nikoley (Listen to my episode here)
- Elon Musk
- Arthur Jones
- Gary Knight (Listen to my episodes with Gary here: Part 1 and Part 2)
- Bo Railey
- Satchin Panda
- Dr Ellington Darden
- Matt Ridley
- John Little (Listen to my episodes with John here: Part 1 and Part 2)