Richard Nikoley is one of the most prolific – and notorious – voices in the overlapping spheres of the paleo, low-carb, and keto worlds online. He is the author of the book Free The Animal: How to lose weight and fat on the Paleo Diet ( Amazon US / Amazon UK ) and FreeTheAnimal.com, where he writes about everything from health, fitness, philosophy, politics, to culture (and more), and he has published over four thousand posts throughout the years, engaging an audience that has contributed over a staggering hundred thousand comments (and counting). Richard is an unapologetic straight-talker who is driven to help people reach their full potential in all areas of their lives, even if it means rocking – or outright sinking – a few boats.
- Richard Nikoley’s FreeTheAnimal.com
- Richard Nikoley’s Ketotard Chronicles
- Richard Nikoley on Facebook
- Richard Nikoley on Twitter
- Richard Nikoley on Instagram
- Richard Nikoley on Patreon
- Richard Nikoley on YouTube
In this episode, we cover:
- Who’s legit and who’s full of it in the low-carb and keto world
- How grains, potatoes, and other carbs might fit in a healthy diet in ways that may surprise you
- How Richard Makes money online (despite his notoriety!)
- … and much more!
- Listen to it on iTunes.
- Stream by clicking here.
- Download as an MP3 by right-clicking here and choosing “save as”.
This episode is brought to you by ARXFit.com, ARX are the most innovative, efficient and effective all-in-one exercise machines I have ever seen. I was really impressed with my ARX workout. The intensity and adaptive resistance were unlike anything I’ve ever experienced. I love how the machine enables you to increase the negative load to fatigue target muscles more quickly and I love how the workouts are effortlessly quantified. The software tracks maximum force output, rate of work, total amount of work done and more in front of you on-screen, allowing you to compete with your pervious performance, to give you and your clients real-time motivation.
As well as being utilised by many HIT trainers to deliver highly effective and efficient workouts to their clients, ARX comes highly recommended by world-class trainers and brands including Bulletproof, Tony Robbins, and Ben Greenfield Fitness. To find out more about ARX and get $1,000 OFF software licensing fees, please go to ARXfit.com and mention Corporate Warrior in the how did you hear about us field.
This episode is brought to you by the Resistance Exercise Conference – The science and application of strength training for health and human performance.
Would you like to:
- Learn from the top strength training researchers?
- Network and connect with other exercise professionals from all over the world?
- Join a welcome reception on Friday night to build relationships with other strength training professionals?
- Experience an early morning workout from an expert trainer to kick start your Saturday?
- And get inspired, rejuvenated and focused on your strength training business?
I certainly do and that is why I am attending and interviewing all of the speakers at the event.
The resistance exercise conference will be held on the 9th and 10th of March 2018 in Minneapolis, Minnesota at The Commons Hotel.
To get 10% off your entry fee, head on over to ResistanceExerciseConference.com, click the registration button and enter corporatewarrior10 in the promo code field in PayPal.
I’m very excited about this and have wanted to attend for years. Sign up now at ResistanceExerciseConference.com, get 10% off with promo code corporatewarrior10 and I look forward to meeting you in person!
Subscribe to my emails to get a FREE HIT workout progress sheet and eBook with 6 podcast transcripts with guests like Dr. Doug McGuff, Drew Baye, and Skyler Tanner – Click here
QUESTION(S) OF THE DAY: What other low-carb, keto, and paleo-related websites do you enjoy checking out regularly (and why)? Please let me know in the comments at the bottom of this post.
Click the link below to listen from the exact time stamp on Overcast:
- Pre-show [05:40]
- On fat loss – Richard on where high-fat, low-carb gets it right and where it gets things wrong [19:22]
- Richard talks about his approach to producing content and what makes him tick [25:50]
- On Mark Sisson [27:52]
- On Dave Asprey and Bulletproof [28:36]
- Who does Richard respect? [34:53]
- Do grains of any sort belong in a healthful diet? [39:37]
- On prioritizing protein, being afraid of carbohydrates, satiety, and “potato hacks” [47:07]
- Richard goes into detail about his potato diet experiment, how it gets people deeper into ketosis, and how long you should be on it (if you decide to try it) [53:53]
- What does Richard think about the zero-carb movement? [1:01:52]
- Richard talks about taking supplements and his approach to nutritional supplementation [1:09:49]
- Richard talks about exercise protocols [1:17:00]
- Richard on his experience with Martin Berkhan’s Leangains, how he trains, and being physically fit in general [1:25:43]
- Richard talks about deleting old content, not choosing a hill to die on in terms of what you promote, on feuding with other health and fitness experts online, and how he makes money [1:31:57]
- On Bitcoin, Patreon, and Taxes [1:50:25]
- Post-show [1:57:41]
Selected Links from the Episode
- Free The Animal: How to lose weight and fat on the Paleo Diet by Richard Nikoley ( Amazon US / Amazon UK )
- Sigma Nutrition Radio | SNR #198: Richard Nikoley – Ketosis: A Call for Context & Sanity
- The Dark Horses Podcast | 005: Richard Nikoley, Free the Animal
- The Bulletproof Diet by Dave Asprey (Amazon US / Amazon UK)
- Livin’ La Vida Low Carb
- Bell Curve
- Standard American Diet
- Dr. Atkins’ Diet Revolution: The High Calorie Way to Stay Thin Forever (1972 Edition) ( Amazon US / Amazon UK )
- Raw Walnuts ( Amazon US / Amazon UK )
- Joe Rogan Exposes Dave Asprey and Bulletproof Coffee for False Claims on Mycotoxins (Video)
- Bulletproof Radio with Dave Asprey
- Richard Nikoley’s post about Dave Asprey’s Fat Water
- 5.5 Questions With Dave Asprey (Video)
- Optimising Nutrition
- Max Contraction Training by John Little ( Amazon US / Amazon UK )
- The 21 Convention
- Ancestral Health Society
- University of California, Los Angeles (UCLA) | Website
- The Potato’s Contribution to Population and Urbanization: Evidence from a Historical Experiment (Study)
- FreeTheAnimal — The Potato Diet Practicalities: Dropping Big Weight Fast With High Energy and Without Hunger
- Wired to Eat: How to Rewire Your Appetite and Lose Weight for Good ( Amazon US / Amazon UK )
- Irish Republican Army (IRA) | 1981 Irish Hunger Strike
- Body By Science by Doug McGuff and John Little ( Amazon US / Amazon UK )
- Stronglifts 5×5 | Stronglifts 5×5 app
- Exogenous Ketone ( Amazon US / Amazon UK )
- Puritan’s Pride Vitamin D3 ( Amazon US / Amazon UK )
- LifeExtension Vitamin K2 ( Amazon US / Amazon UK )
- Puritan’s Pride Magnesium Citrate ( Amazon US / Amazon UK )
- CurEase Argentine Grass-Fed Beef Liver Powder (Desiccated) ( Amazon US )
- Canned Oysters ( Amazon US / Amazon UK )
- Canned Mussels ( Amazon US / Amazon UK )
- Brunswick Sardines in Springwater ( Amazon US / Amazon UK )
- Cervical Herniation
- Hillfit by Chris Highcock
- FreeTheAnimal – Leangains: Martin Berkhan’s Workout Approach
- The Protein Power Lifeplan by Dr. Michael Eades and Dr. Mary Ann Eades ( Amazon US / Amazon UK )
- Hyperlipid by Petro Dobromylskyj
- SousVide Supreme | Website ( Amazon US / Amazon UK )
- Sunk Cost Fallacy
- Elixa Probiotics ( Amazon US / Amazon UK )
- Google AdWords | Website
- Patreon | Website
- Chris Highcock
- Danny Lennon | Website
- Skyler Tanner (Listen to previous episodes with Skyler here: Part 1, Part 2, Part 3, Part 4, and Part 5)
- Dr. Doug McGuff (Listen to previous episodes with Doug here: Part 1, Part 2, and Part 3)
- Dave Asprey | Website
- Jimmy Moore
- Dr. Ted Naiman (Listen to previous interviews with Ted here: Part 1 and Part 2)
- Mark Sisson | Website (Listen to my interview with Mark here)
- Joe Rogan | Website
- JP Sears | Website
- Robb Wolf (Listen to my interview Robb here)
- Art De Vany
- Marty Kendall
- Alex Leaf
- Keith Norris (Listen to our podcasts here: Part 1 and Part 2)
- John Little (Listen to my previous interviews with John here: Part 1, and Part 2)
- Drew Baye (Listen to previous episodes with Drew here: Part 1, Part 2, Part 3, Part 4, and Part 5)
- Ryan Hall (Listen to my previous interviews with Ryan here: Part 1, Part 2, Part 3, and Part 4)
- Lyle MacDonald
- Martin Berkhan
- Dr. Shawn Baker (Listen to previous episodes here: Part 1 and Part 2)
- Weston A. Price | Website
- Chris Masterjohn
- Dr. Michael Eades
- Petro Dobromylskyj
- Karl Seddon