Keith Norris is a life-long athlete, and an elite strength and conditioning coach with 35 years of experience. He’s the co-founder of Paleo f(x) (the largest Paleo conference in the world), a partner in Efficient Exercise and ARXFit, and a founding member of ID Life. He also runs top fitness blog Theory To Practice.
I apologise in advance for my croaky voice and intermittent coughing during this interview. I had just returned from a holiday in Mexico. I think seven cheat days combined with jet lag didn’t really help my immune system. Luckily for you, I let Keith do most of the talking.
- Listen to it on iTunes.
- Stream by clicking here.
- Download as an MP3 by right-clicking here and choosing “save as”.
Would you like to listen to a deep dive discussion on exercise recovery? Listen to this. In this episode Skyler Tanner and I have an in-depth conversation on the role of recovery in muscular hypertrophy (stream below or right-click-here to download):
This episode is sponsored by Hituni.com, the best online courses in high intensity strength training. I recently completed their personal trainer course to increase my knowledge and become certified in HIT. HITuni offer DIY courses to help you get better results from your training and personal training courses to help you start and grow your HIT Business. Visit HITuni.com and use the code “HIB10” to get 10% OFF.
- Why didn’t Keith become a professional footballer following his career at Texas State University? [08:05]
- The importance of strength training as a foundational exercise program for sport [12:25]
- The principles and wisdom that Keith learnt from his college strength and conditioning coaches [14:25]
- How important is it to supplement strength training with mobility work? [24:20]
- Additional hygiene tactics to supplement strength training [31:10]
- What is high intensity interval resistance training and are multiple sets more effective than single sets? [36:55]
- What exercise protocol has been the most successful in causing hypertrophy in Keith’s experience? [54:35]
- How to tweak a training protocol for optimal hypertrophy/body recomposition with 2 hours per week [1:00:30]
- Is Keith’s physique down to his genetics or his exercise protocols? [1:07:08]
- Is HIT built on the 80/20 rule? [1:15:15]
- What is Auto Regulation? [1:21:00]
- What are the benefits of a ‘cheat day’? [1:30:20]
- Vitamin D consumed via Sunlight vs Supplements [1:34:45]
- What are the benefits of extended time under load during exercise beyond 90 seconds? [1:37:45]
- The benefits of the ARXFit machines [1:40:40]
- What has Keith changed his mind about in health and fitness in the past year? [1:44:30]
- What books does Keith most often recommend to people? [1:48:20]
- When is Paleo f(x) coming to London? [1:51:55]
Selected Links from the Episode
- Body by Science: A Research Based Program to Get the Results You Want in 12 Minutes a Week by Dr Doug McGuff and John R. Little
- The Best Route to Swoleville
- 5×5 Workout Overview
- The Five Ts
- JReps/ARX Push Complex
- Keith Norris – Health vs Performance + Auto-Regulation
- Slow Carb Diet
- ID Life
- Triphasic Training: A systematic approach to elite speed and explosive strength performance: Volume 1 by Cal Dietz
If you enjoyed this interview, please consider leaving a review (it really helps to promote the podcast):