Skyler Tanner (@SkylerTanner) returns to the podcast due to popular demand.
He is an Exercise Physiologist turned analytics professional, and has been a fitness and nutrition coach for more than 15 years. He’s also lectured at the Ancestral Health Symposium 2011, The 21 Convention, and Paleo FX. Skyler’s talk Strength Training and the Biomarkers of Aging has been featured on Peak Fitness by Dr. Mercola.
In this interview, Skyler expands on some of his answers in Skyler Tanner – Exercise Science in the Real World in relation to muscular and nervous system recovery. He also answers the questions that you, the listeners, submitted.
- Listen to it on Apple Podcasts
- Stream by clicking here
- Download as an MP3 by right-clicking here and choosing “save as”
This episode is sponsored by Hituni.com, providers of the best online courses in high intensity training. Add the course you want to your shopping cart and enter the coupon code HIB10 to get 10% OFF! Order Here
Get a FREE eBook with 20 podcast transcripts with guests like Dr Doug McGuff, Drew Baye, and Skyler Tanner – Sign up
- Do advanced trainees require more time to recover from workouts? [2:30]
- When is it right to introduce compound versus single joint exercises into a workout? [10:22]
- How long does the nervous system take to recover? [13:22]
- The role of muscle nuclei in muscular hypertrophy [17:45]
- Is there a place for workouts with high repetitions with less resistance instead of low repetitions with moderate/high resistance? [19:45]
- What is the difference in optimising hypertrophy by going to the gym twice per week and not inroading muscles so deeply by stopping as soon as one reaches positive failure compared to the Body By Science once per week? [27:30]
- What are the benefits of macronutrient cycling, e.g. eating lots of carbs on training days whilst limiting fats, and eating more fat on rest days with fewer carbs? [36:10]
- How important is a calorie surplus to building muscle? [47:30]
- What are the advantages/disadvantages to the stress response after exercise by not eating anything at all after training, e.g. waiting 3-5 hours or more? [54:45]
- If you could put up a huge billboard anywhere in the world, where would you put it, and what would it say? [59:22]
- Running on Empty
- The Truth About Exercise Documentary
- Lore of Running by Tim Noakes (Amazon US / Amazon UK)
- The Slow Burn at Home 30 Minute a Week Workout by Fred Hahn (Amazon US / Amazon UK)
- Body by Science: A Research Based Program to Get the Results You Want in 12 Minutes a Week by Dr Doug McGuff (Amazon US / Amazon UK)
- The Ketogenic Diet: A Complete Guide for the Dieter & the Practitioner by Lyle McDonald (Amazon US / Amazon UK)