Drew Baye is one of the top high intensity training experts around today. He is the founder and owner of Baye.com, the most popular high intensity training website online. He’s a prolific writer, researcher, and elite level personal trainer.
In The 4-Hour Body, the author, Tim Ferriss featured Drew to demonstrate how it’s possible to get to 3-4% body fat with no “cardio”. Check it out:
I recently moved to Galway, Ireland, and have no access to fancy MedX and Nautilus machines (until I build my own gym! Muhaha!). With that in mind, I decided to continue my high intensity bodyweight training using Drew Baye’s Project Kratos, which is an excellent eBook on how to use just body weight training to maximise strength, muscle mass and overall health.
In this episode, Drew answers my questions about Project Kratos and bodyweight high intensity training in general. Drew kicks off by explaining the principles of high intensity training that apply to any workout protocol. We then discuss how this fits into a high intensity bodyweight training context over the long-term.
In this episode we cover:
- How to get past sticking points in Project Kratos and optimise your overall results
- The importance of knowing when to introduce specialisation programs
- How to train to failure and not rely on a secondary exercise, drop set, etc to “get there”
- Listen to it on iTunes.
- Stream by clicking here.
- Download as an MP3 by right-clicking here and choosing “save as”.
This episode is brought to you by Exercise Science LLC, your one-stop shop for all your exercise needs. Exercise Science, a high intensity strength training studio based out of New Orleans, is owned and run by Exercise Physiologist and Body By Science contributor, Ryan Hall. Ryan has been featured on the podcast twice and both are among my most popular episodes of all time. Exercise Science LLC have the expertise, experience and the tools to maximise physical strength, improve performance and functional capacity in just 12 minutes per session. I’m a big fan of Ryan and if I were living in New Orleans, I would seriously sign up in a heart beat. To book a consultation now – click here.
This episode is brought to you by Hituni.com, providers of the best online courses in high intensity training that come highly recommended by Dr. Doug McGuff and Discover Strength CEO, Luke Carlson. Course contributors include world-class exercise experts like Drew Baye, Ellington Darden and Skyler Tanner. There are courses for both trainers and trainees. So even if you’re not a trainer but someone who practices HIT, this course can help you figure out how to improve your progress and get best results. Check out Hituni.com, add the course you want to your shopping cart and enter the coupon code ‘CW10’ to get 10% off your purchase!
To subscribe via email and get my FREE eBook with 6 podcast transcripts with guests like Dr Doug McGuff, Drew Baye and Skyler Tanner – Click here ????
QUESTION(S) OF THE DAY: What is your high intensity bodyweight training workout? Please let me know in the comments.
Scroll below for links and show notes…
Click the link below to listen from the exact time stamp on Overcast:
- Common bodyweight exercise mistakes and misunderstandings [6:15]
- The Project Kratos protocols [17:30]
- The reason why it’s important to increase the exercise difficulty [21:05]
- How to know when to increase the level of difficulty [34:28]
- When and how to use specialisation routines [43:08]
- When to abbreviate a workout routine [49:35]
- How to make heel raises more challenging [52:10]
- How to manage recovery and benchmark progress for TSC exercises [56:35]
- Is there any point in doing a drop set if you can’t hit failure on the initial set? [1:01:45]
- How to motivate yourself to train to momentary muscular failure [1:10:50]
- Beware of advanced techniques [1:17:20]
- What has Drew changed his mind about in exercise in recent memory? [1:20:10]
- When will the updated version of Project Kratos be available? [1:24:10]
- Who is the sharpest young expert in exercise [1:26:10]
- Who does Drew learn from? [1:27:20]
Selected Links from the Episode
- High Intensity Training
- The Psychology of Exercise | Drew Baye | Full Length HD (check out Drew Baye’s body weight squat)
- The Project Kratos Body Transformation Program
- Nautilus Resistance Equipment
- Q&A: Breaking Plateaus On The Project: Kratos Bodyweight Program
- Nylon straps (Amazon US / Amazon UK)
- Timed Static Contraction Training
- Q&A: Bodyweight Training and Intentional Antagonistic Co-Contraction
- Athletic Development: The Art & Science of Functional Sports Conditioning (Amazon US / Amazon UK)