So excited to bring you this episode! This is Part 2 of a Round Table I recorded with Drew Baye, Ryan Hall and Skyler Tanner.
If you haven’t listened to Part 1 of this Round Table yet, check it out by clicking here!
Drew Baye is one of the world’s top high-intensity training experts and is one of the best trainers around, and he runs the #1 HIT blog Baye.com. Exercise Science LLC‘s Ryan Hall is an award-winning exercise physiologist and is one of only a handful of the world’s Certified Master SuperSlow Trainers. Smart Strength‘s Skyler Tanner is an exercise physiologist, an analytics professional, a lecturer, and a well-regarded, experienced fitness and nutrition coach.
- Exercise Science LLC Official Website
- Exercise Science LLC on Facebook
- Exercise Science LLC on Twitter
Want to hear more from these HIT experts?
- Listen to previous episodes with Drew here: Part 1, Part 2, and Part 3
- Listen to previous episodes with Ryan here: Part 1, and Part 2
- Listen to previous episodes with Skyler here: Part 1, Part 2 and Part 3
In this episode, we cover:
- Drew, Ryan, and Skyler on Dr Andy Galpin’s Take on HIT and optimal fitness
- Doing High Intensity Interval Training (HIIT) alongside High Intensity Training (HIT)
- Drew and Ryan’s history with Super Slow – and how Super Slow Zone went wrong
- Recent developments in exercise science that has the panel excited
- … and much more!
- Listen to it on iTunes.
- Stream by clicking here.
- Download as an MP3 by right-clicking here and choosing “save as”.
This episode is brought to you by ARXFit.com, ARX are the most innovative, efficient and effective all-in-one exercise machines I have ever seen. I was really impressed with my ARX workout. The intensity and adaptive resistance were unlike anything I’ve ever experienced. I love how the machine enables you to increase the negative load to fatigue target muscles more quickly and I love how the workouts are effortlessly quantified. The software tracks maximum force output, rate of work, total amount of work done and more in front of you on-screen, allowing you to compete with your pervious performance, to give you and your clients real-time motivation. As well as being utilised by many HIT trainers to deliver highly effective and efficient workouts to their clients, ARX comes highly recommended by world-class trainers and brands including Bulletproof, Tony Robbins, and Ben Greenfield Fitness. To find out more about ARX and get $1,000 OFF software licensing fees, please go to ARXfit.com and mention Corporate Warrior in the how did you hear about us field.
This episode is brought to you by Hituni.com, providers of the best online courses in high intensity training that come highly recommended by Dr. Doug McGuff and Discover Strength CEO, Luke Carlson. Course contributors include world-class exercise experts like Drew Baye, Ellington Darden and Skyler Tanner. There are courses for both trainers and trainees. So even if you’re not a trainer but someone who practices HIT, this course can help you figure out how to improve your progress and get best results. Check out Hituni.com, add the course you want to your shopping cart and enter the coupon code ‘CW10’ to get 10% off your purchase!
To subscribe via email and get my FREE eBook with 6 podcast transcripts with guests like Dr Doug McGuff, Drew Baye and Skyler Tanner – Click here
Question of the Day: What exercise or training advice have you been given before that you now know turns out to be quite wrong? Please let me and other guests know in the comments at the bottom of this post.
Click the link below to listen from the exact time stamp on Overcast:
- Drew, Ryan, and Skyler on Andy Galpin’s take on HIT, training speed, skill-based training, injury risks, and what getting optimal results involves [6:07]
- If Skyler, Ryan, and Drew had $2,500 to build a gym in their respective garages, what would these look like? [26:30]
- Drew Baye’s advice on what kind of exercise equipment you should NOT buy [35:35]
- Should you do High-Intensity Interval Training (HIIT) alongside High-Intensity Training (HIT) if you want to maximise fat loss? [38:34]
- Drew Baye on the truth about what fat loss really involves [46:17]
- The importance of understanding the difference between exercise and activity [49:47]
- Ryan talks about educating the public at large about evidence-based exercise in the face of decades-long misinformation by the media and mainstream fitness industry [50:59]
- Ryan and Drew talk about their history with Super Slow (and how it all went downhill) [54:31]
- Are there any recent findings or research in exercise science that Drew and Ryan are excited about? [1:12:31]
- Are there any health and fitness books that Drew and Ryan find themselves reading – and rereading – the most? [1:30:39]
Selected Links from the Episode
- Study: High-intensity strength training in nonagenarians. Effects on skeletal muscle.
- Isometric Training
- Sports Periodization
- Study: Can resistance training impact MRI outcomes in relapsing-remitting multiple sclerosis?
- Super Slow Training
- Andy Galpin’s The Body of Knowledge Podcast
- How Fast Should You Lift to Maximize Muscle Growth?
- Drew Baye’s UXS Bodyweight Multi-Exercise Station
- Trap Bar ( Amazon US / Amazon UK )
- Drew Baye’s Project Kratos
- Perfect Fitness Pushup Handles ( Amazon US / Amazon UK )
- ARX (Adaptive Resistance Exercise)
- Gold’s Gym Olympic Barbell Set ( Amazon US / Amazon UK )
- Power Rack ( Amazon US / Amazon UK )
- Bowflex SelectTech 5.1 Adjustable Bench ( Amazon US / Amazon UK )
- Rogue Fitness
- Bowflex SelectTech Adjustable Dumbbell Set ( Amazon US / Amazon UK )
- Doorway Chinup Bar ( Amazon US / Amazon UK )
- MedX Exercise Equipment
- Normal Distribution (Bell Curve)
- Super Slow Zone
- Drew Baye’s post with his comments on his history with Super Slow
- Super Slow: The Ultimate Exercise Protocol by Ken Hutchins ( Amazon US / Amazon UK )
- Cisco Networking Expert Certifications
- DNAFit Study: A genetic-based algorithm for personalized resistance training (PDF)
- Study: Resistance training promotes cognitive and functional brain plasticity in seniors with probable mild cognitive impairment: A 6-month randomized controlled trial
- Study: Resistance Exercise Reverses Aging in Human Skeletal Muscle
- NCBI – PubMed
- Nutrition Journal
- The Meditations by Marcus Aurelius ( Amazon US / Amazon UK )
- Letters from a Stoic by Seneca the Younger ( Amazon US / Amazon UK )
- Skeletal Muscle Structure, Function, and Plasticity by Richard L. Lieber ( Amazon US / Amazon UK )
- Joint Structure and Function: A Comprehensive Analysis by Pamela K. Levangie and Cynthia C. Norkin ( Amazon US / Amazon UK )
- Andy Galpin (Listen to my interview with Andy here)
- Bill DeSimone (Listen to our episodes here: Part 1 and Part 2)
- Mark Sisson (Listen to the episode with Mark here)
- Tim Allerton (Listen to my interview with Tim here)
- Adam Zickerman (Listen to the episode with Adam here)
- Ken Hutchins
- Madeline Ross
- Tim Ryan (Listen to my interview with Tim here)
- Fred Hahn (Listen to the episode with Fred here)
- Robert Francis
- Dennis Beckman
- Greg Anderson
- Al Coleman
- Doug McGuff (Listen to our episodes here: Part 1, Part 2, and Part 3)
- James Fisher (Listen to previous interviews with James here: part 1, part 2, and part 3)
- Arthur Jones
- Mike Mentzer
- Steven Pinker
- Daniel Dennett
- Marcus Aurelius
- Seneca the Younger
- Richard L. Lieber
- Pamela K. Levangie