In a somewhat unusual role reversal for this episode, I find myself as the interviewee. Patrick and Oliver Ycaro interviewed me on their YouTube channel, Norcal Strength Studio. I absolutely loved doing this, and if you have a podcast on HIT, health and fitness in general, productivity, business, “fill in the blank”, I would LOVE to come on to your show. If you’re interested in having me, please contact me here. And remember … I will share the episode and your platform with my audience :D.
Run by the brothers Patrick and Oliver Ycaro, NorCal Strength Studios is focused on helping people of all ages, abilities, and even medical conditions lose weight, build muscle, become stronger, have more energy, and live healthier lifestyles in as little as 20 minutes a week using evidence-based exercise science and the principles of high-intensity training. Patrick is a Certified High Intensity Training Instructor, Certified Safe Strength Instructor, and is CPR/AED Certified. Oliver is a NorCal Strength Studio HIT Certified Instructor and an IFPA Strength Training Specialist.
Contact NorCal Strength Studio:
- NorCal Strength Studio Official Website
- NorCal Strength Studio on Facebook
- NorCal Strength Studio on Instagram
- NorCal Strength Studio on YouTube
- NorCal Strength Studio on Linkedin
Follow Corporate Warrior on Social Media:
In this episode, we cover:
- How to prepare for podcast interviews
- How to get high-profile guests
- The importance of focusing on the right categories in your business
- How to make High-Intensity Training a force to be reckoned with in the health and fitness industry
- … and much more!
- Listen to it on iTunes.
- Stream by clicking here.
- Download as an MP3 by right-clicking here and choosing “save as”.
This episode is brought to you by ARXFit.com, ARX are the most innovative, efficient and effective all-in-one exercise machines I have ever seen. I was really impressed with my ARX workout. The intensity and adaptive resistance were unlike anything I’ve ever experienced. I love how the machine enables you to increase the negative load to fatigue target muscles more quickly and I love how the workouts are effortlessly quantified. The software tracks maximum force output, rate of work, total amount of work done and more in front of you on-screen, allowing you to compete with your pervious performance, to give you and your clients real-time motivation. As well as being utilised by many HIT trainers to deliver highly effective and efficient workouts to their clients, ARX comes highly recommended by world-class trainers and brands including Bulletproof, Tony Robbins, and Ben Greenfield Fitness. To find out more about ARX and get $1,000 OFF software licensing fees, please go to ARXfit.com and mention Corporate Warrior in the how did you hear about us field.
This episode is brought to you by Hituni.com, providers of the best online courses in high intensity training that come highly recommended by Dr. Doug McGuff and Discover Strength CEO, Luke Carlson. Course contributors include world-class exercise experts like Drew Baye, Ellington Darden and Skyler Tanner. There are courses for both trainers and trainees. So even if you’re not a trainer but someone who practices HIT, this course can help you figure out how to improve your progress and get best results. Check out Hituni.com, add the course you want to your shopping cart and enter the coupon code ‘CW10’ to get 10% off your purchase!
To subscribe via email and get my FREE eBook with 6 podcast transcripts with guests like Dr. Doug McGuff, Drew Baye, and Skyler Tanner – Click here
Want to quickly get started on High-Intensity Training, losing bodyfat, and gaining lean muscle mass? Check out the books I’ve written on HIT and living a healthy, optimal lifestyle by clicking here.
QUESTION OF THE DAY: Would you like to interview Lawrence Neal? Please email lneal2 [at] gmail [dot] com.
Podcast Pre-Interview Checklist
As mentioned in this episode, this is the pre-interview checklist that I use to prepare for every episode of Corporate Warrior:
- Disorganised note taking
- Send rapid fire questions in adv. (rest of interview spontaneous).
- Use buffer to poll audience for questions – ask them to be as specific as possible (e.g. don’t ask “how to be healthy”), post to Facebook profile manually.
- Review overall Podcast feedback
- Test blinkist app to get summaries and notes for guest books.
- Talk about stuff with guests on podcast that they seldom get asked about but want to talk about. Perhaps ask the guest in adv?
- Look at stock questions.
- Research guest:
- Read/Scan book(s)
- watch/listen/read interviews, TED talks
- Website/social media
- Plan questions
- Ask mutual friends what I should ask.
- Review submitted questions.
- List friends who have been on the podcast, feel free to chat with them (social proof), big impact to X demographic.
- Consider where in my questions it might be suitable or add colour with my own experience or study and add to notes.
- Ask for preferred bio, social handles, etc.:
“Please can you send me:
Best head shot for the featured image (image that you own)
Most interesting picture for the blog post body (image that you own)
Mini-bio (short paragraph) or can use website blurb (up to you).
- Use short prompts, don’t go overboard with full questions. “Reference X” “Photos from that time – always smiling, how manage?” “LN: ….” (thoughts and questions)
- Consider fewer Qs (during note taking box key points, and use as key Qs which create opportunities to probe)
- Organise notes into questions and categorise (don’t be too detailed)
Click the link below to listen from the exact time stamp on Overcast:
- How Corporate Warrior got started [6:42]
- Patrick and I talk about metabolic conditioning and skill-specific training [10:54]
- How to get high-profile guests on your podcast and how to prepare for interviews [14:03]
- Going into detail about my personal experience doing HIT and the gains I’ve made [24:36]
- Patrick and I talk about bodyweight High-Intensity Training [26:44]
- Will there ever be a Corporate Warrior gym or training facility? [31:10]
- Patrick and I talk about Joanne Sharkey, CEO/President of Mentzer-Sharkey Enterprises, and the possible fate of the Mike Mentzer website [33:21]
- Going into detail about what’s coming up for Corporate Warrior [34:37]
- Patrick and I talk about Corporate Warrior’s focus [37:05]
- Oliver and I talk about differentiation in High-Intensity Training (and how we could potentially make it as popular as CrossFit) [40:02]
Selected Links from the Episode
- Body By Science by Dr Doug McGuff and John Little ( Amazon US / Amazon UK )
- Paleo Diet & Strength Training Biochemistry by Doug McGuff M.D. (Video)
- The Paleo Diet
- High-Intensity Training the Mike Mentzer Way (Amazon US / Amazon UK)
- Arthur Jones’ Nautilus Bulletin #1
- Arthur Jones’ Nautilus Bulletin #2
- The Body Fat Breakthrough: Tap the Muscle-Building Power of Negative Training and Lose Up to 30 Pounds in 30 days! By Dr. Ellington Darden ( Amazon US / Amazon UK )
- The New High Intensity Training: The Best Muscle-Building System You’ve Never Tried by Ellington Darden ( Amazon US / Amazon UK )
- Drew Baye’s 3×3 High Intensity Training Workouts
- Drew Baye’s Project Kratos
- Boomerang for Gmail
- Boomerang App
- The James Altucher Show (Podcast)
- Kieser Training
- MedX Exercise Equipment
- ARX (Adaptive Resistance Exercise)
- Mint Fitness
- Very Important News from Joanne Sharkey (regarding the Mike Mentzer website)
- Extreme Productivity with Kevin Kruse (Podcast)
- The 22 Immutable Laws of Marketing: Violate Them at Your Own Risk! by Al Ries and Jack Trout ( Amazon US / Amazon UK )
- Super Slow
- Hit Market Penetration: Supply Creates Demand by Dr. Doug McGuff
- NorCal Strength Studio’s Interview with Dr. Doug McGuff
- Doug McGuff (Listen to our episodes here: Part 1, Part 2, and Part 3)
- Arthur Jones
- Mike Mentzer | Mike Mentzer’s Official Website
- Ken Hutchins
- Dr. Ellington Darden
- Drew Baye (Listen to our episodes here: Part 1, Part 2, and Part 3)
- James Altucher
- David Landau (Listen to previous episodes with David here: Part 1 and Part 2)
- Dr. Ted Naiman (Listen to my interview with Ted here)
- Jay Vincent (Listen to previous episodes with Jay here: Part 1, Part 2, and Part 3)
- Craig David
- Matthew Nairn
- Joanne Sharkey
- Dr. Teresa Liu-Ambrose
- Kevin Kruse
- Dr. Stuart Phillips
- Dr. James Steele (check out my other interviews James Steele here: Part 1, Part 2)