Jay Vincent is a nationally recognized personal trainer, health coach and professional fitness model. As the owner and primary trainer at BioFit, Jay’s mission is to instruct highly effective, time efficient, and safe exercises for people of all ages, goals and physical conditions. Jay has been featured on many popular Podcast interviews, magazines and has modeled for popular athletic companies such as Under Armour and MuscleTech.
This is Jay’s third appearance on Corporate Warrior. We did plan to discuss HIT and diet in Part 2 but decided to focus on business instead. This episode is focused on Jay’s current exercise and diet regimen and how his approach and views have changed since we discussed this in Part 1 a year ago.
Since opening his new gym, BioFit, Jay has reduced his training frequency to enable him to invest more time in growing his business. Jay has reduced from a split routine twice per week to a single full-body routine once every 5-10 days with practically no downside. Check out his workout below. Furthermore, sometimes he only eats one meal per day! Don’t think genetics are that important? Think again.
In this episode, Jay reveals all. We cover:
- Jay’s workout – in tremendous detail
- The benefits of freestyling vs tracking workout performance
- Jay’s thoughts on increasing frequency for improved muscle hypertrophy
- … and much more!
Jay’s contact info:
- Listen to it on iTunes.
- Stream by clicking here.
- Download as an MP3 by right-clicking here and choosing “save as”.
Want to hear my first episode with Jay Vincent? — Listen here. In this episode, we discuss Jay’s training background, the life of a fitness model, how HIT compares to conventional training and more (stream below or right-click here to download):
This episode is brought to you by Hituni.com, providers of the best online courses in high intensity training that come highly recommended by Dr. Doug McGuff and Discover Strength CEO, Luke Carlson. Course contributors include world-class exercise experts like Drew Baye, Ellington Darden and Skyler Tanner. There are courses for both trainers and trainees. So even if you’re not a trainer but someone who practices HIT, this course can help you figure out how to improve your progress and get best results. Check out Hituni.com, add the course you want to your shopping cart and enter the coupon code ‘CW10’ to get 10% off your purchase!
To subscribe via email and get my FREE eBook with 6 podcast transcripts with guests like Dr Doug McGuff, Drew Baye and Skyler Tanner – Click here
QUESTION OF THE DAY: What is your current HIT routine? Please let me know in the comments at the bottom of this post.
Click the link below to listen from the exact time stamp on Overcast:
- Jay’s current exercise protocol [05:10]
- Jay’s favourite exercises for single joint movements [10:45]
- Freestyling vs tracking [16:30]
- Jay’s training frequency [18:15]
- Jay’s thoughts on increasing training frequency for greater hypertrophy [20:45]
- The downside Jay experienced by reducing his training frequency [27:35]
- Has Jay lost any lean mass by reducing frequency and volume? [30:45]
- How does Jay measure progress? [35:10]
- One meal a day [37:50]
- What diet would Jay recommend for a hard gainer? [41:40]
- Does Jay do any pre-workout rituals for better performance? [45:55]
- How to improve grip strength [49:50]
- What other physical activities/exercise does Jay do? [53:55]
- How to combat posture issues and back pain [54:05]
- How to lose stubborn body fat [58:55]
- How to optimise sleep [1:04:43]
- How has Jay’s diet changed over the last few years? [1:11:35]
- The importance of genetics [1:14:10]
- What has Jay changed his mind about in exercise in recent memory? [1:20:45]
- Final piece of advice regarding HIT [1:24:40]
Selected Links from the Episode
- High Intensity Training (HIT)
- Nautilus Abdominal Machine
- On Not Counting
- Time under load
- Frequency: The Overlooked Resistance Training Variable for Inducing Muscle Hypertrophy?
- Muscle hypertrophy
- Project Kratos
- Wrist wraps (Amazon US / Amazon UK)
- Hammer Strength Gripper
- Spinal flexion
- Lavolta Ergonomic Laptop Table Desk (Amazon US / Amazon UK)
- Air purifier (Amazon US / Amazon UK)
- Lumie Bodyclock (Amazon US / Amazon UK)
- Myosin and actin overlap
- Muscle and Fitness
- Muscular Development
- Baye.com (Drew Baye’s HIT blog)
- Skyler Tanner (Listen to our podcasts here: Part 1, Part 2 and Part 3)
- James Steele PhD (Listen to our podcasts here: Part 1, Part 2 and Part 3)
- Dr Doug McGuff (Listen to our episodes here: Part 1, Part 2, and Part 3)
- Dr James Fisher (Listen to our episodes here: Part 1, Part 2, and Part 3)
- Ted Naiman (Listen to our episode here)
- Drew Baye (Listen to our episodes here: Part 1, Part 2, and Part 3)
- John Little (Listen to our podcasts here: Part 1 and Part 2)
- Arthur Jones
- Dr Russell Foster (British professor of circadian neuroscience, the Director of the Nuffield Laboratory of Ophthalmology and the Head of the Sleep and Circadian Neuroscience Institute (SCNi))
- The Rock
- Ben Pakulski
- Dorian Yates
- Ryan Hall (Listen to our episodes here: Part 1 and Part 2)