Tim Ryan (info @ stronglifetraining.com) is a Master Super Slow instructor and the owner of Strong Life Personal Training in Barrington, Illinois. In addition to personal training, Tim offers mentoring, workshops, and seminars for studio owners.
In this episode, Tim joins me for Part 14 of our HIT Fundamentals Series where we discuss exercise-induced headaches (EIH), its symptoms and causes, client awareness and education, step-by-step exercise-induced headache management, and much more.
Listen to Parts 1 to 13:
- 352 – The History and Philosophy of HIT (The High Intensity Training Fundamentals Series)
- 354 – How to Articulate the Benefits of HIT (The High Intensity Training Fundamentals Series – Part 2)
- 358 – Movement Speed (The High Intensity Training Fundamentals Series – Part 3)
- 360 – The Optimal Window for Time Under Load and Time To Concentric Failure (The High Intensity Training Fundamentals Series – Part 4)
- 361 – How to Determine the Optimal Resistance Level (The High Intensity Training Fundamentals Series – Part 5)
- 363 – The Assumed vs the Real Objective of Exercise, How to Coach Correct Form, Head and Neck Position, and Breathing (The High Intensity Training Fundamentals Series – Part 6)
- 366 – How to Design Exercise Programs and Manage Progression and Recovery (The High Intensity Training Fundamentals Series – Part 7)
- 368 – The Six Factors of Functional Ability (The High Intensity Training Fundamentals Series – Part 8)
- 370 – Will You Get Fit Doing HIT? (The High Intensity Training Fundamentals Series – Part 9)
- 380 – What is the Difference Between Exercise and Recreation? (The High Intensity Training Fundamentals Series – Part 10)
- 382 – How Does HIT Help You Lose Fat (The High Intensity Training Fundamentals Series with – Part 11)
- 385 – The Ideal Exercise Environment Pt. 1 (The High Intensity Training Fundamentals Series – Part 12)
- 387 – The Ideal Exercise Environment Pt. 2 (The High Intensity Training Fundamentals Series – Part 13)
This episode is brought to you by StrengthPortal
You need a single software platform that enables your trainers to deliver consistent high quality workouts, track client progress, and scale your business.
The problem is you’re still using pen and paper or basic spreadsheets to run your business, which leads to poor client experiences, inaccurate tracking, and prevents you from growing your business, making you feel frustrated.
StrengthPortal understand your challenge and have worked closely with the HIT industry to create a software platform to manage and scale your niche business.
You can integrate with Mindbody, manage a standardized exercise and workout library for your team, track workouts effectively, and produce client reports at the click of a button.
StrengthPortal is used by multiple businesses in the High Intensity Strength Training community, namely Discover Strength, Smart Strength Austin, MedX Precision Fitness, and more.
Starting with StrengthPortal is super simple:
- Sign up for the best package for your business
- Let StrengthPortal take the load off and help onboard your business onto the platform.
- Start delivering consistent workout experiences, and scale your business to the next level.
To help support the podcast, go to StrengthPortal.com/highintensitybusiness, and sign up now, so you can stop feeling frustrated about your business, and start to scale your business to its true potential.
- Listen to it on Apple Podcasts
- Stream by clicking here
- Download as an MP3 by right-clicking here and choosing “save as”
- 3:26 – Exercise-induced headache (symptoms & causes)
- 15:35 – Doug McGuff’s explanation about EIH
- 23:04 – Client awareness and education
- 28:17 – How to manage EIH during a workout session
- 30:05 – Exercises to alleviate EIH
- 35:06 – Assessment and precautionary actions
- 44:00 – Reinforcing good form and corrective feedback
- 46:32 – View on ‘neck first, leg last’ programming
- 50:41 – Statistics on men and women
- 53:18 – How to deal clients with recurring headaches
- 59:02 – Summary and key points
- 1:01:11 – The importance of record keeping
Selected Links from the Episode
- Strong Life Personal Training
- The Body By Science Question and Answer Book by Doug McGuff and John Little
- Valsalva maneuver
- Nautilus Inc.
- Bearcat Football Manual Resistance Exercises (from page 49)
- Heart Strong by Ken Hutchins