Tim Ryan (info @ stronglifetraining.com) is a Master Super Slow instructor and the owner of Strong Life Personal Training in Barrington, Illinois. As well as personal training, Tim offers mentoring, workshops, and seminars for studio owners to help you improve your trainers, upgrade your machines, and deliver better client results — Learn more and contact Tim here.
In this episode, Tim joins me for Part 11 of our HIT Fundamentals Series where he explains the different fat loss principles, how HIT contributes to fat loss, the importance of preserving muscle mass, and much more.
Listen to Parts 1 to 10:
- 352 – Tim Ryan – The History and Philosophy of HIT (The High Intensity Training Fundamentals Series)
- 354 – Tim Ryan – How to Articulate the Benefits of HIT (The High Intensity Training Fundamentals Series – Part 2)
- 358 – Tim Ryan – Movement Speed (The High Intensity Training Fundamentals Series – Part 3)
- 360 – Tim Ryan – The Optimal Window for Time Under Load and Time To Concentric Failure (The High Intensity Training Fundamentals Series – Part 4)
- 361 – Tim Ryan – How to Determine the Optimal Resistance Level (The High Intensity Training Fundamentals Series – Part 5)
- 363 – Tim Ryan – The Assumed vs the Real Objective of Exercise, How to Coach Correct Form, Head and Neck Position, and Breathing (The High Intensity Training Fundamentals Series – Part 6)
- 366 – Tim Ryan – How to Design Exercise Programs and Manage Progression and Recovery (The High Intensity Training Fundamentals Series – Part 7)
- 368 – Tim Ryan – The Six Factors of Functional Ability (The High Intensity Training Fundamentals Series – Part 8)
- 370 – Tim Ryan – Will You Get Fit Doing HIT? (The High Intensity Training Fundamentals Series – Part 9)
- 380 – Tim Ryan – What is the Difference Between Exercise and Recreation? (The High Intensity Training Fundamentals Series with Tim Ryan – Part 10)
Learn sales and marketing strategies inside HIT Business Membership
This episode is brought to you by StrengthPortal
You need a single software platform that enables your trainers to deliver consistent high quality workouts, track client progress, and scale your business.
The problem is you’re still using pen and paper or basic spreadsheets to run your business, which leads to poor client experiences, inaccurate tracking, and prevents you from growing your business, making you feel frustrated.
StrengthPortal understand your challenge and have worked closely with the HIT industry to create a software platform to manage and scale your niche business.
You can integrate with Mindbody, manage a standardized exercise and workout library for your team, track workouts effectively, and produce client reports at the click of a button.
StrengthPortal is used by multiple businesses in the High Intensity Strength Training community, namely Discover Strength, Smart Strength Austin, MedX Precision Fitness, and more.
Starting with StrengthPortal is super simple:
- Sign up for the best package for your business
- Let Strength Portal take the load off and help onboard your business onto the platform.
- Start delivering consistent workout experiences, and scale your business to the next level.
To help support the podcast, go to StrengthPortal.com/highintensitybusiness, and sign up now, so you can stop feeling frustrated about your business, and start to scale your business to its true potential.
- Listen to it on Apple Podcasts
- Stream by clicking here
- Download as an MP3 by right-clicking here and choosing “save as”
- 3:59 – The public health dilemma of obesity
- 9:25 – What matters most for fat loss: diet or exercise?
- 21:58 – Effects of exercise on fat loss
- 29:39 – Inaccuracies of fitness devices/apps
- 34:56 – How HIT contributes to fat loss
- 39:09 – Why you should focus on diet over exercise
- 43:23 – Importance of preserving muscle mass while losing fat
- 51:28 – Summary and main takeaway
- 54:18 – How to educate clients on diet & nutrition
- 57:41 – Why exercising is not enough for losing weight
Selected Links from the Episode
- Discover Strength
- The Scientist and the Stairmaster by Gary Taubes
- Cooper Clinic
- Apple Watch
- The Nautilus Book by Ellington Darden
- Beyond Diet and Exercise by Wayne Westcott
- 381 – How to Help Clients Optimize Fat Loss by Focusing on “Satiety per Calorie” with Dr. Ted Naiman
- Why You Shouldn’t Exercise to Lose Weight Explained with 60+ Studies by Julia Belluz and Javier Zarracina