Attention fitness business owners: is evidence-based exercise and fitness training truly enough, or do you need to go deeper to really make a genuine, meaningful difference in the lives of your personal training clients?
John Thompson ( john [at] limitlesslegion [dot] com ) is the owner of Thompson Fitness Transformation Center, a high-intensity group training studio in California, and Limitless, a high-performance men’s coaching program for executives and entrepreneurs focused on teaching them how to unleash their potential. He has 15 years of personal training experience and has coached over 3,000 clients.
In this episode, we talk about what you need to do as a trainer and as a HIT business owner in order to really dig deep into the psyche of your clients so that not only do you make a deep impact on their health and fitness, but they also make lead generation, client retention, and scaling your business faster, easier, and more satisfying for you that you’ll wonder why you didn’t think about doing these things we’re about to talk about sooner.
- Listen to it on Apple Podcasts
- Stream by clicking here
- Download as an MP3 by right-clicking here and choosing “save as”
- 01:54 – John Thompson’s story: from Bowflex and Chuck Norris to High-Intensity Training
- 13:05 – Why a scientific, evidence-based approach to training people is not truly enough
- 16:17 – How should you talk about exercise, nutrition, and fat loss with clients?
- 23:02 – Optimizing Gym Revenue: Thinking about the Pros and Cons of One-on-One versus Group Training
- 28:34 – How to run large group HIT workouts to accommodate and prepare each individual participant
- 33:38 – Exercise Demonstrations, Teaching, Progression, and Troubleshooting
- 36:36 – What a good program needs to maximize client success and break down self-sabotage: “The Five Realms” approach
- 41:15 – Attracting clients, getting referrals, why you should like your clients, and how to market your personal training business when you’re starting from scratch (and how to scale marketing as you grow)
- 50:57 – Maximizing social media to grow your brand — why – and how – you should keep posting even when you feel like it’s not doing anything for you at the moment
- 57:53 – How should you approach client education for maximum results and benefits (and why)?
People Mentioned & Selected Links from the Episode
- John Thompson | Thompson Fitness | LIMITLESS – Fitness, Fat Loss & High Performance For Men
- Dorian Yates
- The Colorado Experiment
- HIB 315 – Mike Petrella and Michael Perilli – Does STG’s Colorado Experiment Create New Opportunities to Drive Client Results?
- HIB 134 – Jim Flanagan on The Best Machines for Exercise, Arthur Jones, and The Colorado Experiment
- Doug Holland | Part 2
- Ellington Darden | Bowflex
- Mike Lipowski
- Corrie-Beth Lipowski
- Luke Carlson | Discover Strength
- Joe Cirulli
- Roger Schwab
- Tim Ferriss | The 4-Hour Workweek | The 4-Hour Body