James Steele, PhD (james.steele @ solent.ac.uk) is an Associate Professor of Sport and Exercise Science at Southampton Solent University, UK and is also the Principal Investigator at Ukactive Research Institute. He has extensive research and consultancy experiences in physical activity, exercise and sports working with elite athletes. See James’ published peer reviewed articles.
James was a member of the Expert Working Group revising the CMO of Physical Activity Guidelines for the UK. He is a founding member of both the Strength and Conditioning Society, and the Society for Transparency, Openness, and Replication in Kinesiology. James is also a member of the American College of Sports Medicine and the British Association of Sport and Exercise Sciences, and is a Fellow of the Higher Education Academy.
Listen to my previous episodes with James HERE.
This week, Dr. James Steele discusses his review paper Does Increasing an Athletes’ Strength Improve Sports Performance? A Critical Review with Suggestions to Help Answer This, and Other, Causal Questions in Sport Science where he clarifies the causal effect of muscular strength upon sports performance, barriers and issues, and suggestions to improve research in this area, and much more.
Enjoy the show using buttons and links below!
- Listen to it on Apple Podcasts
- Stream by clicking here
- Download as an MP3 by right-clicking here and choosing “save as”
This episode is brought to you by ARXFit.com, ARX are the most innovative, efficient and effective all-in-one exercise machines I have ever seen. I was really impressed with my ARX workout. The intensity and adaptive resistance were unlike anything I’ve ever experienced. I love how the machine enables you to increase the negative load to fatigue target muscles more quickly and I love how the workouts are effortlessly quantified. The software tracks maximum force output, rate of work, total amount of work done and more in front of you on-screen, allowing you to compete with your pervious performance, to give you and your clients real-time motivation.
As well as being utilized by many HIT trainers to deliver highly effective and efficient workouts to their clients, ARX comes highly recommended by world-class trainers and brands including Bulletproof, Tony Robbins, and Ben Greenfield Fitness. To find out more about ARX and get $500 OFF install, please go to ARXFit.com and mention “High Intensity Business” in the how did you hear about us field – ORDER HERE
- 1:50 – Introduction, The 8 stages of ARMSS
- 11:17 – Optimal configuration in training athletes
- 20:36 – Does mental training improve sports performance?
- 24:41 – Proxy vs. Actual sports performance
- 33:12 – Derived questions from the first 4 stages
- 39:20 – Ecological fallacy, barriers and issues
- 45:26 – Sports data analysis (Sabermetrics)
- 53:05 – The role of expert opinion in sports
- 58:15 – Using anchoring and/or expert opinion
Selected Links from the Episode
- The American College of Sports Medicine (ACSM)
- An Applied Research Model for the Sport Sciences (ARMSS) by David John Bishop
- Moneyball (Book, Film)
- Dunning–Kruger Effect