If you are having problems with workout quality, client retention, or trainer retention, you might also have a process problem.
In this episode, I provide the steps on how to create a workout process for your strength training business. We’ll delve into the benefits of creating checklists, how to facilitate iteration, process implementation, and much more.
Optima Strength’s Workout Process:
- Greet the client by name.
- Shake hand/fist or elbow bump.
- Comfort/prep client:
- Offer hand sanitizer.
- Explain mask is optional.
- How is your body feeling today?
- Modify the program if required.
- Deliver weekly teaching focus.
- Deliver weekly promotional focus.
- Retrieve workout card and deliver workout:
- Brief workout overview.
- Setup exercise:
- Configure settings.
- Describe how the client should enter exercise safely.
- Provide pre-exercise instruction:
- What is the exercise?
- Targeted musculature?
- Goal (aim for X reps or to reach failure in target rep range e.g. 6-8, 8-12).
- Help the client make progress in resistance and/or reps (do not record advanced techniques).
- Provide enthusiastic encouragement and specific, positive and corrective feedback throughout each set.
- Get the client to or as close to MMF in good form as possible.
- If form is very poor, stop exercise, give corrective feedback, and consider modifying the exercise.
- Use advanced overload techniques (AOTs) during the workout, but always strive to get the client to MMF in their first set.
- The client MUST feel that you want them to get results more than they do (this is the most critical part of the entire process).
- Record performance and any important notes on the workout card.
- Always finish on time. Always try to complete the workout, but never at the expense of the next client’s time slot.
- Provide honest positive and constructive feedback.
- Thank the client for coming in for their workout.
- Wipe down machines.
This podcast episode is brought to you by ARX
Do you struggle to attract and retain clients in your strength training studio? ARX machines use breakthrough motorized resistance and computer software to give your clients the perfect workout every time, so you can start to deliver great workouts and grow your business with confidence. Get $500 OFF by going to ARXFit.com/HIB and booking a call with the ARX sales team – Book Here
- Listen to it on Apple Podcasts
- Stream by clicking here
- Download as an MP3 by right-clicking here and choosing “save as”
- 3:47 – Importance of business processes
- 9:00 – How to create the workout process
- 10:53 – The studio workout process
- 19:39 – Reasons for documentation
- 21:01 – Process implementation strategies
Selected Links from the Episode
- HIT Business Membership
- High Intensity Business Podcast
- Optima Strength
- Discover Strength
- Traction: Get a Grip on Your Business by Gino Wickman
- Entrepreneurial Operating System (EOS)