Philip Shepherd is an embodiment expert, author, and co-founder of The Embodied Present Process™. TEPP aims to help people reunite the thinking of the head with the deep, present and calm intelligence of the body.
Andrei Yakovenko built a successful career as a partner in a Geophysics business. Years later, he came across Body by Science and discovered the transforming power of HIT. He decided to set up New Element Training, a high intensity training studio in Toronto, Canada, that specializes in mindful strength training.
In this episode, Philip and Andrei share their new book Deep Fitness: The Mindful, Science-Based Strength-Training Method to Transform Your Well-Being in Just 30 Minutes a Week. We talk about The Embodied Present Process™, mindful strength training, strength training and longevity, and much more.
Turn your strength training studio into a thriving success
Download How to Attract Great Personal Trainers PDF
Watch/listen to the podcast:
- Listen to it on Apple Podcasts
- Stream by clicking here
- Download as an MP3 by right-clicking here and choosing “save as”
- 1:31 – About the authors, origin of the book
- 5:10 – The Embodied Present Process (TEPP)
- 19:14 – How to transition workouts from suffering to joy
- 29:28 – Philip’s bike ride from London to Japan
- 36:33 – Practical applications and impact of TEPP to workouts
- 43:28 – Mindful strength training cues
- 51:51 – Aggressive vs. Mindful strength training
- 1:01:37 – Thoughts on exercise lagging behind research
- 1:10:22 – Strength training, aging, and longevity
Selected Links from the Episode
- Deep Fitness: The Mindful, Science-Based Strength-Training Method to Transform Your Well-Being in Just 30 Minutes a Week by Philip Shepherd and Andrei Yakovenko
- Radical Wholeness: The Embodied Present and the Ordinary Grace of Being by Philip Shepherd
- New Self, New World: Recovering Our Senses in the Twenty-First Century by Philip Shepherd
- MedX Machines
- Super Slow
- No Time To Die
- Aerobics by Dr. Kenneth Cooper
- No Time to Lift? Designing Time-Efficient Training Programs for Strength and Hypertrophy: A Narrative Review by Brad Schoenfeld (et al)
- The Joe Rogan Experience
Jon Allen says
Interesting. I like your new theme music. Big improvement dude.
Lawrence Neal says
Thank you Jon. Hope you’re doing well.
Will you post the video of Phillip doing the MedX Leg Press, as promised in the interview. To be honest, I’m still skeptical (about many things here), Doug McGuff’s Foreword notwithstanding
Lawrence Neal says
Done! Sorry for the delay! See above in post