Nick Paterson is an engineer, former RAF and commercial pilot, and Owner of Ultimate Fitness where he provides personal training, diet, and biometric monitoring services. On his blog, LIHF (Low Inflammation, High Fat) Living, Nick writes about his research, client results, and personal health journey.
In 2012, Nick bumped into a friend who had experimented with a high-fat low-carb (HFLC) diet and lost some body fat. Despite some good fat loss in the beginning, Nick soon hit a plateau and discovered that low-carb wasn’t the entire answer. This led him to invest a ton of time to figure out the optimal diet for himself to help him lose his excess body fat and optimize his health.
Listen to my previous podcast with Nick HERE.
In this episode, Nick Paterson discusses his theory of inflammatory hysteresis, metrics for inflammation, the critical role of diet on joint health, health coaching business, client retention strategies, and much more.
Enjoy the show using buttons and links below!
- Listen to it on Apple Podcasts
- Stream by clicking here
- Download as an MP3 by right-clicking here and choosing “save as”
- 4:46 – Updates on Nick’s personal training business
- 11:43 – What is inflammatory hysteresis?
- 21:26 – Single measurements for inflammation
- 30:08 – Training plateau, and inflammation interventions
- 37:51 – Is diet enough to reverse inflammatory hysteresis?
- 41:12 – Nick’s 105-Day trial on metformin
- 53:33 – Diet and Joint Health: Why dairy increases inflammation
- 1:04:26 – Thoughts on plant based diets, liver/organ meats (Nick’s diet)
- 1:13:10 – Evolution, carnivore diet, and diet tribalism
- 1:23:01 – Research, business journey, and client retention strategies
- 1:30:47 – Changes in diet and exercise
Selected Links from the Episode
- Ultimate Fitness
- Body by Science: A Research Based Program for Strength Training, Body building, and Complete Fitness in 12 Minutes a Week by Doug McGuff and John Little
- The Time-Saver’s Workout: A Revolutionary New Fitness Plan that Dispels Myths and Optimizes Results by John Little
- Hysteresis Model of Dietary Inflammation
- Homeostatic Model Assessment of Insulin Resistance (HOMA-IR)
- Ultimate Exercise
- Synlab International
- Pure White and Deadly by John Yudkin
- Sapiens: A Brief History of Humankind by Yuval Noah Harari
- Dr. Kevin Stock – Carbs and Protein Effects on Carnivore, Experiments, and Being a Well-Rounded Person