Steve Wetzel (steve_wetzel @ villasport.com) is a former NFL strength and conditioning coach for 17 seasons working for the Minnesota Vikings, Washington Redskins and Arizona Cardinals, and since become a very successful personal trainer teaching the principle of HIT to athletes and the general population.
He is a fitness advisor at VillaSport Athletic Club and Spa in Texas, and has been the top fitness producer for all locations from 2013-2019. With 35 years of experience, Steve’s unique approach combined with advanced training methods emphasizes injury prevention and results in the improvement of strength levels and body composition.
In this episode, Steve Wetzel tackles personal training fundamentals, how to thrive as a sports coach and a personal trainer, tactics to train clients better, contraindications and solutions, importance of data tracking, and much more.
Enjoy the show using buttons and links below!
- Listen to it on Apple Podcasts
- Stream by clicking here
- Download as an MP3 by right-clicking here and choosing “save as”
This episode is brought to you by ARXFit.com, ARX are the most innovative, efficient and effective all-in-one exercise machines I have ever seen. I was really impressed with my ARX workout. The intensity and adaptive resistance were unlike anything I’ve ever experienced. I love how the machine enables you to increase the negative load to fatigue target muscles more quickly and I love how the workouts are effortlessly quantified. The software tracks maximum force output, rate of work, total amount of work done and more in front of you on-screen, allowing you to compete with your pervious performance, to give you and your clients real-time motivation.
As well as being utilized by many HIT trainers to deliver highly effective and efficient workouts to their clients, ARX comes highly recommended by world-class trainers and brands including Bulletproof, Tony Robbins, and Ben Greenfield Fitness. To find out more about ARX and get $500 OFF install, please go to ARXFit.com and mention “High Intensity Business” in the how did you hear about us field – ORDER HERE
- 5:37 – How to train better, retain clients, and be a top fitness producer
- 16:09 – Skills to thrive as a sports coach and a personal trainer
- 19:00 – Meeting Luke Carlson and Dan Riley
- 27:11 – Steve’s workout routine
- 31:24 – Athletic strength training and conditioning
- 43:23 – How to be a great personal trainer
- 57:22 – Identifying contraindications and finding workarounds
- 1:04:41 – NFL coaching, thoughts on starting a HIT business
- 1:16:07 – Memories of meeting Arthur Jones
- 1:17:28 – The future of HIT, exercise, and fitness education
- 1:28:55 – Fitness tools/apps for data tracking
Selected Links from the Episode
- National Football League (NFL)
- Discover Strength
- VillaSport Athletic Club and Spa
- Tektonic Athletic Development and Rehabilitation
- University of Maryland
- Nautilus Machines
- Keiser Fitness Equipment
- The 21 Convention
- Body by Science: A Research Based Program for Strength Training, Body building, and Complete Fitness in 12 Minutes a Week by Doug McGuff and John Little
- Orange Theory Fitness
- Pure Barre
- Gainesville Health & Fitness Center
- MedX Machines
- Slow Burn Personal Training Studio
- Hammer Strength Equipment
- Polar ProTrainer
- Full Fitness
- Gym Log+
- Joeri App
- Smarter Exercise Toolkit