Shawn Baker MD (@SBakerMD is a board certified orthopedic surgeon, multi-sport world record holding Masters 50+ Athlete, and Zero-Carber (he basically just eats red meat). After much demand from his following and you guys, Shawn was kind enough to give me 2-hours to dig deep on exercise, health, nutrition, etc. We answer your questions and more in this epic and detailed discussion. For a more extensive biography and list of achievements, please see Part 1. I recommend you listen to Part 1 first for more context.
To participate in Shawn’s ‘N = Many’ social experiment email NEqualsMany [@] gmail [dot] com and for more information see this video.
In this episode, we cover:
- The definition of health
- The downsides of prolonged sitting
- We dig into diet:
- Grain-fed vs grass-fed meat
- How to eat on the road
- How long it takes to adapt to Zero-Carb
- Shawn’s drinks of choice
- Eating a Zero-Carb diet to reduce decision fatigue, and how to pick foods in the supermarket without driving yourself mad looking for the perfect food whilst trying to stay within budget.
- How to deal with social situations.
- His protein intake and thoughts on general protein consumption recommendations
- Shawn’s thoughts on electromagnetic fields, cold showers, body wash and other environmental stressors
- And much more (I am scratching the surface – this is packed so get your notepad!)
- Listen to it on iTunes.
- Stream by clicking here.
- Download as an MP3 by right-clicking here and choosing “save as”.
Interested in more from Shawn Baker MD? – Listen to Part 1. Shawn explains his experience as a Nuclear Weapons Launch Officer, training regime, Zero-Carb dieting basics, and much more (stream below or right-click here to download):
This episode is sponsored by Hituni.com, the best online courses in high intensity strength training. I recently completed their personal trainer course to increase my knowledge and become certified in HIT. HITuni offer DIY courses to help you get better results from your training and personal training courses to help you start and grow your HIT Business. Visit HITuni.com and use the code “HIB10” to get 10% OFF.
This episode is also brought to you by, former guest, and health and sleep coach, Alex Fergus. Alex has worked with hundreds of clients from all walks of life to help them fall asleep faster and improve their sleep quality, as well as, optimise fat loss, muscle gain, overall health and energy level.
Alex is an accomplished athlete, representing New Zealand in rowing, winning national bodybuilding titles and breaking powerlifting records. He’s absolutely ripped and strong as an ox, and has won the Paleo f(x) RealFit competition 2 years running against some of the most fierce competition around. The first time around, he won the competition training only 15-minutes per week.
Alex attributes much of his success to optimising his sleep. As a former chronically sleep deprived young adult, Alex pays close attention to his sleep and has invested heavily to optimise his own sleep quality for maximum benefit. Alex has devoted much of his time to researching how to improve sleep and has a ton of experience helping his clients with theirs. For a FREE 4 part sleep improvement series with tips that will revolutionise your sleep quality and help you fall asleep faster to give you more energy, improved body composition and better well-being, sign up here.
Click here to get my FREE eBook with 6 podcast transcripts ????
Scroll below for links and show notes…
- Shawn’s definition of health [7:12]
- Shawn’s thoughts on interventions to improve public health [13:05]
- Shawn’s position on supplements [16:15]
- What is Shawn’s process for learning about nutrition? [20:30]
- The problems with relying on scientific literature [24:10]
- Do cold showers increase testosterone? [28:40]
- What does Shawn mean by “In my opinion the next evolution for the general population will involve the preservation of speed and the ability to accelerate via smart training” [31:20]
- Shawn’s thoughts on sitting being bad for health [35:15]
- Shawn’s new rowing world records [39:30]
- Shawn’s next N=1 experiment [41:20]
- Shawn’s fastest 100m running sprint [43:15]
- Grass-fed vs grain-fed meat [44:15]
- How does Shawn eat on the road? [49:35]
- How to order bun-less burgers in bulk from fast food restaurants [51:55]
- How did Shawn transition to Zero-Carb? [54:50]
- How to manage the Zero-Carb adaptation period [56:20]
- Are Branch Chained Amino Acid supplements redundant on a Zero-Carb diet? [1:00:50]
- What does Shawn drink? [1:01:55]
- How Zero-Carb can be very effective at preserving creativity and decision-making will power [1:03:10]
- How does Shawn simplify and automate his buying decisions in the grocery store? [1:07:15]
- How might a high carbohydrate diet negatively affect muscle tissues? [1:11:30]
- Shawn’s thoughts on carbohydrate’s protein-sparing effect in the context of optimising muscle gain [1:14:45]
- What do Shawn’s friends think about his diet? [1:18:45]
- How to overcome peer pressure and challenging social environments that make avoiding junk food difficult? [1:21:00]
- Has Shawn noticed any cognitive improvement in going Zero-Carb? [1:26:00]
- Shawn’s perspective on mitigating exposure/effects of electromagnetic fields, toxic body wash solutions and other environmental stressors [1:28:50]
- What does the first 90-minutes of Shawn’s day look like? [1:33:30]
- Shawn’s pet obsessions [1:34:25]
- What has Shawn changed his mind about in the last couple of years regarding health and fitness? [1:35:19]
- What shower gels/shampoo does Shawn use? [1:37:09]
- What advice would Shawn give his 20-year-old self? [1:40:28]
- What is Shawn not very good at? [1:42:10]
- What habits is Shawn trying to change? [1:42:50]
- What health, fitness and nutrition books has Shawn re-read and what books does he recommend? [1:45:50]
- Shawn’s stance on steroids and drug-use [1:48:40]
- Why it’s good to wake up with an erection [1:53:00]
- Has Shawn measured his lean body mass using DEXA or Bod Pod since going Zero-Carb? [1:54:00]
- How much protein does Shawn consume a day? [1:56:20]
- Best way to contact Shawn [2:01:24]
Selected Links from the Episode
- Fountain of Youth
- Pub Med
- Energy expenditure and body composition changes after an isocaloric ketogenic diet in overweight and obese men
- High Intensity Training
- Zero-Carb Diet
- Shawn Baker MD How to be a record breaker at 50+ (interview with Paul Burgess)
- Ketogenic Diet
- Branch Chained Amino Acids
- Decision Fatigue
- Ripped Books by Clarence Bass (Amazon US / Amazon UK)
- A Recovery Ice Bath Isn’t (Always) Such a Good Idea
- Bulletproof Coffee
- Dr. Bronner’s Magic Soaps (Amazon US / Amazon UK)
- Jason Toothpaste (Amazon US / Amazon UK)
- Kingfisher Toothpaste (Amazon US / Amazon UK)
- Good Calories, Bad Calories: Fats, Carbs, and the Controversial Science of Diet and Health by Gary Taubes (Amazon US / Amazon UK)
- The Big Fat Surprise: Why Butter, Meat and Cheese Belong in a Healthy Diet by Nina Teicholz (Amazon US / Amazon UK)
- Dave Keto
- Dr Ted Naiman (Listen to our podcast here)
- Juan Ponce de León
- Aubrey de Grey
- Dave Asprey
- Drew Baye (Listen to our podcast here: Part 1 and Part 2)
- Dr Kevin Hall
- Usain Bolt
- Paul Burgess
- Albert Einstein
- Mark Zuckerberg
- Steve Jobs
- Clarence Bass (Listen to our podcast here)
- Ronnie Coleman
- Tucker Goodrich
- Wim Hof
- Gary Taubes (Listen to our podcast here)
- Nina Teicholz
- Dr Jeff Volek and Dr Stephen Phinney
QUESTION(S) OF THE DAY: What is your favourite Zero-Carb meal? Please let me know in the comments.