HIT studio owners, have you ever stopped to think about how important your hiring process is for the success of your fitness business?
In a world where the fitness industry is growing at an exponential rate, having the right team can make all the difference. In this previously HIT Business members-only episode, we dive deep into the importance of hiring and how to create an effective hiring process for your gym.
Luke Carlson, founder and CEO of Discover Strength, joins us to discuss the hiring practices that have driven his success in the fitness industry. He shares his tried-and-true techniques for finding and hiring the right people for the job. Luke highlights the importance of “first who, then what,” and stresses that it’s the people who make up the company and create a successful business.
We cover topics such as conducting interviews, assessing job candidates, and determining the best team structure for your gym. Luke stresses the importance of hiring for value fit, aligning your interests with your employees’, and creating an effective commission model. He also shares key questions to ask during interviews to gauge a candidate’s understanding of the company’s core values and assess their potential to perform in the position. The episode concludes with Luke’s four-step hiring process and the criteria that a candidate must meet to be considered the right person in the right seat.
- Listen to it on Apple Podcasts
- Stream by clicking here
- Download as an MP3 by right-clicking here and choosing “save as”
- 04:08 – Why hiring the right people is crucial for your business to succeed (and the mindset and philosophy you must have)
- 07:57 – How to interview candidates for your strength training business so you can attract the best and the brightest talent
- 14:06 – Case study: Discover Strength’s rigorous interview process, their hiring team, and how they hire prospective trainers from start to finish
- 22:15 – The two key elements of hiring success that you need to know
- 26:34 – How to conduct job interviews to find the best candidates: how to tailor your questions, what important things you need to focus on, and understanding the importance of values and cultural fit beyond just skills and qualifications
- 33:33 – Mastering the art of hiring: the five-point process you need to use
- 38:28 – Why your hiring process needs clearly defined hiring criteria and how to put this into practice for your business
- 44:46 – How Discover Strength connects with local colleges and universities to discover and hire talent (and what you can learn from it to boost your business’ ability to attract talented trainers)
- 57:41 – How to make your trainers love growing your business with the right incentives to help you maximize everyone’s growth potential (both for your staff and your business)
- 1:19:09 – How to make sure that your processes are always up-to-date and optimized to make sure that your business stays at the top of its game, even when unforeseen issues and problems arise