Ted Naiman is a board-certified Family Medicine physician at the Department of Primary Care at a leading major medical center in Seattle. He is the author of The P:E Diet, a diet and exercise book that breaks down every single dietary strategy into one simple metric: PROTEIN and ENERGY. His research and medical practice are focused on practical implementation of diet and exercise for health optimization.
In this episode, Ted talks about the concept of ‘satiety per calorie’, the critical role of resistance training to fat loss, how to better educate your clients about diet and fat loss, and much more.
This episode is brought to you by StrengthPortal
You need a single software platform that enables your trainers to deliver consistent high quality workouts, track client progress, and scale your business.
The problem is you’re still using pen and paper or basic spreadsheets to run your business, which leads to poor client experiences, inaccurate tracking, and prevents you from growing your business, making you feel frustrated.
StrengthPortal understand your challenge and have worked closely with the HIT industry to create a software platform to manage and scale your niche business.
You can integrate with Mindbody, manage a standardized exercise and workout library for your team, track workouts effectively, and produce client reports at the click of a button.
StrengthPortal is used by multiple businesses in the High Intensity Strength Training community, namely Discover Strength, Smart Strength Austin, MedX Precision Fitness, and more.
Starting with StrengthPortal is super simple:
- Sign up for the best package for your business
- Let Strength Portal take the load off and help onboard your business onto the platform.
- Start delivering consistent workout experiences, and scale your business to the next level.
To help support the podcast, go to StrengthPortal.com/highintensitybusiness, and sign up now, so you can stop feeling frustrated about your business, and start to scale your business to its true potential.
- Listen to it on Apple Podcasts
- Stream by clicking here
- Download as an MP3 by right-clicking here and choosing “save as”
- 2:58 – Evidence-based dietary recommendations
- 16:04 – How to deal with client reactions
- 19:12 – Balancing diet and physical activity
- 27:03 – Circadian rhythm and meal timing
- 31:06 – Why strength training is vital for fat loss
- 36:21 – Energy expenditure: resistance training vs. cardio
- 40:54 – Edge cases for food sensitivity
- 44:23 – Teaching focus #1: protein awareness
- 49:53 – Teaching focus #2: energy density
- 56:45 – Teaching focus #3: fiber
- 1:03:28 – Teaching focus #4: caution on high carb, high fat, high energy density foods
- 1:07:49 – Teaching focus #5: increasing hydration
- 1:14:41 – Summary and final points
- 1:18:32 – Ted’s diet, fasting, and exercise
Selected Links from the Episode
- P:E Diet book
- Time-restricted eating and the effect of late night eating
- Circadian Rhythm
- Quest Protein Bar
- Effect of a plant-based, low-fat diet versus an animal-based, ketogenic diet on ad libitum energy intake by Kevin Hall, et al.
- Uber Eats
- Light + Fit® Greek Yogurt