James Fisher PhD (james.fisher @ solent.ac.uk) is a Course Leader and Senior Lecturer for the School of Sport, Health, and Social Sciences at Southampton Solent University in the UK. James is considered as one of the leading researchers in exercise science particularly resistance training.
Luke Carlson is the founder and CEO of Discover Strength based in Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA. Discover Strength owns and operates strength training studios as well as the Discover Strength Franchise. Luke speaks around the world on leadership, management, and evidence-based exercise.
In this episode, James Fisher and Luke Carlson share the technicalities when designing a client workout, key exercises for maximum hypertrophy and lower body adaptations, factors to consider during workout selection, and much more.
Listen to the whole series:
- Listen to it on Apple Podcasts
- Stream by clicking here
- Download as an MP3 by right-clicking here and choosing “save as”
- 2:03 – Client workout design process
- 8:55 – Big 3 vs. higher volume routines
- 11:40 – Workout template for maximum hypertrophy
- 19:15 – Key exercises for lower body adaptations
- 28:48 – Discover Strength’s workout design
- 42:13 – Is a shrug necessary in a workout?
- 44:41 – Factors to consider when designing a workout plan
Selected Links from the Episode
- Discover Strength
- University of Michigan
- MedX Machines
- Changes in Exercises Are More Effective Than in Loading Schemes to Improve Muscle Strength by Rodrigo Fonseca et al.
- The Upright Row: Implications for Preventing Subacromial Impingement by Brad Schoenfeld et al.