It’s the moment you have been waiting for … Bill DeSimone returns to Corporate Warrior, opening up a series of great podcasts for 2016. Bill DeSimone is a personal trainer and presenter known for his joint-friendly, biomechanics-based approach to fitness. He is an ACE-Certified Health Coach and Orthopaedic Exercise Specialist, with his own studio in central New Jersey.
When some of the top exercise experts in the world want to brush up on biomechanics and exercise selection, Bill is often their first port of call.
You may know him from his manuals, Moment Arm Exercise, and Congruent Exercise, and from his talks and videos. He has presented for Luke Carlson’s HIT Resurgence conferences, Anthony Johnson’s 21 Conventions, seminars for Adam Zickerman, Bo Railey, and other studios. In the fall of 2015, both a one hour roundtable discussion between Bill, Skyler Tanner, and Dr. Doug McGuff, and Bill’s full talk on Joint-Friendly Fitness were posted to YouTube courtesy of Anthony Johnson. In December 2015, Bill posted all his Moment Arm Exercise videos to his Congruent Exercise Facebook page and made Moment Arm Exercise available as a PDF. The best place to follow Bill for excerpts, links, and updates on his latest projects is the Congruent Exercise Facebook page.
If you haven’t already, please take a moment to buy a PDF of the Moment Arm Exercise Manual now. Send $10 via Paypal to email@example.com. This is not affiliated. Whilst its not essential, I encourage you to buy this book and read it to understand a lot of the terminology used in this interview.
This interview was epic … we cover:
- Exercise selection based on congruent movement for maximum effectiveness and minimal risk.
- How to exercise effectively at home and with almost nothing at all.
- Bill’s view on the exercise industry today.
- How to apply congruent exercise into an endurance context.
- What Bill has changed his mind about in the last year about health and fitness.
- And much, much more!
- Listen to it on iTunes.
- Stream by clicking here.
- Download as an MP3 by right-clicking here and choosing “save as”.
This episode is sponsored by Hituni.com, the best online courses in high intensity strength training. I recently completed their personal trainer course to increase my knowledge and become certified in HIT. HITuni offer DIY courses to help you get better results from your training and personal training courses to help you start and grow your HIT Business. Visit HITuni.com and use the code “HIB10” to get 10% OFF.
During the discussion, I ask Bill about some concerns I had when using push up handles and chin up bars. The following pics support this conversation:
- If a muscle creates more force when it contracts slowly, is this the result of orderly recruitment of muscle fibers? [5:30]
- Can using push up handles “incorrectly” cause any problems? [10:25]
- What is the most congruent way to exercise the hamstrings? [14:35]
- Why did Bill exclude lower back exercises in Moment Arm Exercise? [27:00]
- Deadlifts with barbells vs dumbbells [29:00]
- Is it OK to perform the french press on a floor? [32:20]
- The importance of starting an exercise where the moment arm is greatest [33:40]
- Do single joint exercises stimulate more hypertrophy than multi join exercises? [34:40]
- How effective are super slow body weight squats? [47:00]
- What is a great congruent full-body workout with minimal equipment? [50:45]
- Chin up bar concerns [54:15]
- How do you create a workout with no equipment and only floor space and four walls? [57:20]
- Why is “train the movement not the muscle” so prevalent in fitness coaching dogma? [1:00:45]
- How important is load when considering optimal hypertrophy? [1:09:25]
- How important is it for a trainee to make body weight training progressively harder? [1:11:10]
- What health hacks does Bill use? [1:16:00]
- What does Bill’s current diet look like? [1:28:00]
- How does Bill apply his exercise philosophy to endurance training? [1:31:05]
- Bill’s view on minimalist footwear [1:37:50]
- What does Bill consider true that almost nobody agrees with him on? [1:50:25]
- What has Bill changed his mind about in the last year? [1:54:00]
- Why does Bill do low-intensity, long duration exercise? [1:55:30]
- What is Bill not very good at? [1:58:00]
- Bill’s advice to the audience [2:00:00]
- Bill’s book recommendations [2:02:00]
- How to get your audience to leave comments on your online properties [2:10:35]
Selected Links from the Episode
- Nautilus, Inc.
- Super Slow: The Ultimate Exercise Protocol (Amazon US / Amazon UK)
- CAP Barbell Pair of Push Up Bars (Amazon US / Amazon UK)
- James Steele Bodyweight Routine
- Swiss Ball (Amazon US / Amazon UK)
- BOSU (Amazon US / Amazon UK)
- Valeo Stretch Bands (Amazon US / Amazon UK)
- Nautilus Bulletin #1 (PDF)
- Kieser Training
- Foam Roller (Amazon US / Amazon UK)
- Lacrosse ball (Amazon US / Amazon UK)
- Amelia Boone on Beating 99% of Men and Suffering for High Performance
- Tai Chi
- Born to Run: A Hidden Tribe, Superathletes, and the Greatest Race the World Has Never Seen (Amazon US / Amazon UK)
- The 4 Hour Body: An Uncommon Guide to Rapid Fat Loss, Incredible Sex and Becoming Superhuman (Amazon US / Amazon UK)
- The Pose Method
- The Running Revolution: How to Run Faster, Farther, and Injury-Free–for Life (Amazon US / Amazon UK)
- ChiRunning and ChiWalking
- Survival of the Fittest
- Kinesio Tape Tape (Amazon US / Amazon UK)
- Healthy Brain, Happy Life: A Personal Program to Activate Your Brain and Do Everything Better (Amazon US / Amazon UK)
- The Body Fat Breakthrough: Tap the Muscle-Building Power of Negative Training and Lose Up to 30 Pounds in 30 days! (Amazon US / Amazon UK)
- All Moment Arm Exercise videos at the Congruent Exercise Facebook page
- Joint-Friendly Fitness, one hour presentation
- One hour roundtable with Dr. Doug McGuff (Body By Science) and Skyler Tanner
- Congruent Exercise: How To Make Weight Training Easier On Your Joints (Amazon US / Amazon UK)
- James Fisher
- James Steele
- Richard Winett
- Ken Hutchins
- Dr Ellington Darden
- Mike Mentzer
- Arthur Jones
- Dorian Yates
- Tim Ferriss
- Amelia Boone
- Frank Zane
- Barry Sears
- Chris Highcock
- Dr Phil Maffetone
- Andy Magness
- Dr. Nicholas Romanov
- Danny Dreyer
- Simon Shawcross
- Adam Zickerman
- David Landau
- Dr Doug McGuff
- Anthony Johnson
- Skyler Tanner