“The biggest enemy is fear, and if you’re afraid, you are going to manifest the very things that you are fearful of and that you worry about.” – Steve Maxwell
Steve Maxwell is a Brazilian Jujitsu blackbelt, nomadic strength and conditioning coach with over 50 years experience and was named one of the top 100 trainers by Men’s Journal.
Steve has come back on to the show to talk about more than just high intensity training. We cover:
- A list of tools and techniques to significantly improve breathing habits.
- Steve’s nomadic lifestyle and how he manages to carry everything in his 45 litre back pack.
- The key contributors to Steve’s business success and how he responds to business challenges.
- How to make progress using just body weight exercises, how to overcome sticking points and how to repair an injury to a rotator cuff.
- How to cultivate better movement patterns, and optimise diet and training for fat loss and hypertrophy.
- The importance of coming to terms with genetic limitations and the truth about the use of drugs in show business, sport and the media to create impressive physiques.
- How to prevent overtraining and how training expands consciousness.
Enjoy the interview!
- Listen to it on iTunes
- Stream by clicking here
- Download as an MP3 by right-clicking here and choosing “save as.”
Listen to my first interview with Steve below:
We talk about Drew Baye a lot in this interview. Drew Baye is behind the number one website for high intensity training: Baye.com and was featured in the New York Times Bestseller, The 4-Hour Body by Tim Ferriss. Check out my interview with Drew below:
These episodes are brought to you by Hituni.com, providers of the best online courses in high intensity training that come highly recommended by Dr Doug McGuff and Discover Strength CEO, Luke Carlson. Course contributors include world class exercise experts like Drew Baye, Ellington Darden and Skyler Tanner. There are courses for both trainers and trainees. So even if you’re not a trainer but someone who practices HIT, this course can help you figure out how to improve your progress and get best results. Check out Hituni.com, add the course you want to your shopping cart and enter the coupon code ‘CW10’ to get 10% off your purchase!
For my FREE eBook with 6 podcast transcripts with guests like Dr Doug McGuff, Drew Baye and Skyler Tanner – Click here ????
- Breathing exercises to make healthy breathing automatic [5:30]
- What is the best breathing technique for high intensity strength training? [23:45]
- What items make the cut and travel the world with Steve in his 45 litre backpack? [27:10]
- Should we be worried about carrying electrical devices on or near our person? [42:35]
- What are the key things that Steve attributes to his success in business? [46:30]
- How does Steve bounce back when business is difficult? [53:50]
- Steve’s business goals and perspective on life and business [55:45]
- What is the best way to progress (increase strength and muscular size) through body weight exercises? [57:50]
- How to overcome sticking points in a high intensity training protocol? [1:04:00]
- What are the best ways to resolve an injury to a rotator cuff? [1:07:40]
- The importance of good movement patterns and the optimal diet and training regimen to improve health and stimulate hypertrophy [1:12:40]
- Do movie stars use performance enhancing drugs to achieve dramatic body transformations? [1:25:45]
- Is too much muscle mass a detriment to health? [1:27:40]
- Is there such a thing as too much rest between HIT workouts which can lead to a loss or stagnation in muscle gain? [1:35:20]
- Does training increase consciousness? [1:42:30]
- If Steve had a huge billboard that he could place anywhere in the world, where would he put it and what would it say? [1:49:05]
- Where is Steve off to next and how does he plan his journey? [1:52:50]
- Some big takeaways from Steve’s collective wisdom to action now [1:57:30]
- Born to Run: The Hidden Tribe, the Ultra-Runners, and the Greatest Race the World Has Never Seen by Christopher McDougall (Amazon US / Amazon UK)
- As a Man Thinketh by James Allen (Amazon US / Amazon UK)
- The Science of Mind by Ernest Holmes (Amazon US / Amazon UK)
- Shoulder Pain? the Solution & Prevention by M. D. John M. Kirsch (Amazon US / Amazon UK)
- Toxaemia Explained by John H Tilden (Amazon US / Amazon UK)
- Body by Science: A Research Based Program to Get the Results You Want in 12 Minutes a Week by Dr Doug McGuff and John R. Little (Amazon US / Amazon UK)
- Neti pot – plastic, White (rinsing sinuses)
- Breathing Ladders
- What is Rolfing?
- Square breathing
- Drew Baye – Project Kratos (Bodyweight training)
- Tom Bihn Aeronaut Travel Bag
- Eagle Creek Pack-It Compressor Medium 2014
- Rohan (Outdoor and Travel Clothing)
- Senmotic Shoes
- Sole Runners
- Bedrock Sandals
- Luna Sandals
- Kuhl Trousers
- Under Armour
- LifeStraw® Personal – Water Filter
- Spyderco Dog Tag Folder knife
- Drew Baye – Timed Static Contractions
- Soil and Health Library
- Hay Diet
- Ageless Athlete
- Shaun Of The Dead
- Feldenkrais Method
- Star Center
- Steve Maxwell
- Ida Rolf
- Ellington Darden
- Charles Staley
- John Henry Tilden
- Mike Mentzer
- Ray Mentzer
- Casey Viator
- Bruce Lee
- Arthur Jones
- Dr Doug McGuff
If you enjoyed this interview, please consider leaving a review (it really helps to promote the podcast):