Every now and again, I get asked “how do you get guests?”, “how do you find the time to do a podcast alongside a job?”, “how do you monetise it”, etc. Podcasting is becoming more and more popular. Lots of brands, public figures and companies are exploring podcasting as a method to grow their audience and business. When a friend said he was considering starting a podcast, it occurred to me that I could create a really useful resource for new starters.
In this inbetweenisode, I divulge all. I tell you exactly how I grew my podcast to 31,514 downloads per month (as of May 2017).
In this episode, I cover:
- Why you need to think about the why
- How to get started in terms of niche, publishing frequency and equipment.
- Marketing strategies
- Systems and outsourcing
- and much more
At 10:15 I don’t mean to equate Niche to Unique Selling Point (USP). What I mean is that your Niche market that you target with your content could be you; a guaranteed market of one. By creating content in a way, a format, and topic that you love, you will appeal to likeminded versions of you and that becomes your USP. You’ll be scratching your own itch.
Keep in touch with me:
- Listen to it on iTunes.
- Stream by clicking here.
- Download as an MP3 by right-clicking here and choosing “save as”.
This episode is sponsored by Hituni.com, the best online courses in high intensity strength training. I recently completed their personal trainer course to increase my knowledge and become certified in HIT. HITuni offer DIY courses to help you get better results from your training and personal training courses to help you start and grow your HIT Business. Visit HITuni.com and use the code “HIB10” to get 10% OFF.
- Introduction on how to start and grow a podcast [04:00]
- What is your ‘why’? [06:00]
- Select the right medium for you [08:50]
- How scratching your own itch will become your “USP” [10:15]
- Why you should commit to 6 episodes [14:55]
- Rig the game so you get a weekly win [15:35]
- Why it’s important to release multiple episodes when you launch [16:45]
- Keep setup, software and equipment simple [17:20]
- How to attract great guests [22:30]
- How to market your podcast [27:49]
- Should you start a podcast if you want to start a business? [34:28]
- The importance of systems and checklists [37:00]
- Useful tools [40:20]
- Closing thoughts [42:24]
Selected Links from the Episode
- Body By Science by Dr Doug McGuff and John Little (Amazon US / Amazon UK)
- How I Built a #1-Ranked Podcast With 60M+ Downloads by Tim Ferriss
- 1,000 true fans by Kevin Kelly (useful concept to ponder when growing your business/audience)
- HIT (High Intensity Training)
- Audio-Technica ATR2100-USB Cardioid Dynamic USB/XLR Microphone (Amazon US)
- Ecamm Call Recorder
- Garage Band
- UpWork (outsourcing)
- AWeber (email list provider)
- 6 Free Podcast Transcriptions
- The Four Hour Work Week by Tim Ferriss (Amazon US / Amazon UK)
- How To Make A $1,000 A Month Business (Monthly1k by Noah Kagan & AppsSumo.com)
- Checklists – The Secret To Optimal Productivity in Lifestyle, Career and Business
- The OCD Stories Podcast by Stuart Ralph