Jens Jakob Andersen is a former competitive runner, a statistician, a minimalist, and most importantly, the Founder and CEO of the immensely popular – if not the most popular – running shoe review website on the Internet, RunRepeat.com.
What’s fascinating about Jens and RunRepeat is not only the extensive amount of comprehensive-yet-straightforward, useful information on running footwear available to those looking for the best running shoes and trainers, but the fact that RunRepeat has accomplished this level of success and garnered the critical respect it has in just a little over 3 years, already having been featured in mainstream outlets such as the New York Times, The Wall Street Journal, and Runner’s World.
Additionally, RunRepeat publishes a good amount of interesting, science-based articles that not only focus on running performance, but touch on health and fitness in general as well.
- Jens Jakob Andersen’s RunRepeat.com
- Jens Jakob Andersen on Facebook
- Jens Jakob Andersen on Twitter
- Email: jens [@] runrepeat [.] com
In this episode, we cover:
- The benefits of running and how to optimize your running efficiency and performance
- How Jens started RunRepeat and grew it so successfully so quickly
- How to actually pick and purchase the best running shoes for you
- … and much more!
- Listen to it on iTunes.
- Stream by clicking here.
- Download as an MP3 by right-clicking here and choosing “save as”.
This episode is brought to you by Hituni.com, providers of the best online courses in high intensity training that come highly recommended by Dr. Doug McGuff and Discover Strength CEO, Luke Carlson. Course contributors include world-class exercise experts like Drew Baye, Ellington Darden and Skyler Tanner. There are courses for both trainers and trainees. So even if you’re not a trainer but someone who practices HIT, this course can help you figure out how to improve your progress and get best results. Check out Hituni.com, add the course you want to your shopping cart and enter the coupon code ‘CW10’ to get 10% off your purchase!
Subscribe to my emails to get a FREE HIT workout progress sheet and eBook with 6 podcast transcripts with guests like Dr. Doug McGuff, Drew Baye, and Skyler Tanner – Click here
QUESTION(S) OF THE DAY: Do you run or plan to incorporate running in your training regimen? How do you see it potentially benefiting you? Please let me know in the comments at the bottom of this post.
Click the link below to listen from the exact time stamp on Overcast:
- Jens talks about his history with running and some of his accomplishments [4:57]
- How many pairs of footwear does Jens own? (And Jens talks about minimalism) [11:01]
- Jens talks about optimal running and how he prepares and trains for races [14:01]
- How to improve running gait and form to protect your joints and ligaments [21:17]
- How often does Jens run nowadays? [27:50]
- A quick aside on “football” and the World Cup [28:32]
- Jens talks about the science-based benefits of running (and about training frequency) [29:39]
- How to pick the best running shoe for yourself – what really matters (and why you should ignore brand marketing and hype) [33:08]
- On minimalist / maximalist footwear [37:38]
- Jens and I go on a tangent about the surprisingly healthy menu options available to diners in Copenhagen and Scandinavia (and we also talk about biases in what people come to believe) [40:02]
- On barefoot shoes and barefoot running [45:28]
- Jens talks about his career prior to founding RunRepeat.com [49:37]
- Jens talks about his minimalist approach to social media and online marketing [52:52]
- How did RunRepeat become so successful in such a relatively short amount of time? (On content development, marketing, and effective public relations) [55:47]
- How long did it take Jens and RunRepeat from zero to 1 million? [1:02:37]
Selected Links from the Episode
- Runified Podcast | Episode 65: Jens Jakob Andersen – RunRepeat.com
- The Conscious Runner Podcast | TCR113 | Jens Jakob Andersen: The Best Pair of Running Shoes Are the Ones That Are Most Comfortable to You
- Rat Race Survival of the Fittest
- Tough Mudder | Website
- The 4 Hour Body: An Uncommon Guide to Rapid Fat Loss, Incredible Sex and Becoming Superhuman by Tim Ferriss (Amazon US / Amazon UK)
- FIFA World Cup | Website
- 71 benefits of running backed by science
- Adidas | Website
- Study: Foot pronation is not associated with increased injury risk in novice runners wearing a neutral shoe: a 1-year prospective cohort study (Nielsen et al)
- The truth about arch support – A meta-analysis of 150 studies
- Do special running shoes help prevent injury?
- The 5:2 Diet Book: Feast for 5 Days a Week and Fast for 2 to Lose Weight, Boost Your Brain and Transform Your Health by Kate Harrison ( Amazon US / Amazon UK )
- Global Warming
- Barefoot Running
- Vivo Barefoot | Website
- Nike | Website
- Content Marketing
- New York Times | Website
- CrossFit | Website