Bill DeSimone (Congruent Exercise) is a personal trainer known for his sensible, biomechanics-based approach to strength training and is the go-to biomechanics expert for some of the best high-intensity trainers in the world like Dr. Doug McGuff and Skyler Tanner.
Starting as a trainer in 1983 in New York City, in 2006 he opened his own studio, Optimal Exercise, in central New Jersey. He is the author of Congruent Exercise: How to Make Weight Training Easier on Your Joints (Kindle version); and the upcoming Joint-Friendly Fitness: Your Guide to the Optimal Exercise Program. He has presented at national conferences, provided in-services for private studios, and consults online or by phone with individual exercisers.
In this episode, Bill shares updates about his shoulder injury, how to do joint-friendly weight training, how to exercise without hurting your shoulders and back, recommended machines for weight training, and much more.
Learn how to target and stimulate muscle groups more effectively, efficiently, and safely with Bill’s HITuni course Functional Training + HIT
Check out Bill DeSimone‘s The Joint-Friendly Fitness Project.The first 10 $100 pledges get a special piece of Mike Mentzerabilia!
Learn how to generate more profit in your high intensity training business and join HIT Business Membership
Enjoy the show!
- Listen to it on Apple Podcasts
- Stream by clicking here
- Download as an MP3 by right-clicking here and choosing “save as”
In this video, Bill demonstrates how to do chin ups safely and protect your body:
- 0:18 – Introduction to Bill DeSimone
- 1:27 – Updates on Bill’s shoulder injury
- 6:09 – Bill’s exercise science internship program
- 19:37 – How to develop good interpersonal skills as a trainer?
- 23:10 – What causes shoulder impingement and other shoulder problems?
- 32:39 – How to execute chin ups?
- 47:54 – How a person’s glenoid cavity affects the risk of having shoulder injuries?
- 50:29 – What is the correlation between the crunch and chin ups
- 55:35 – Starting position and repetitions for a chin up
- 1:02:09 – Bill’s recommended machines for leg press
- 1:11:07 – What features to look for an ideal leg press machine?
- 1:14:25 – Proper feet placement and execution on a leg press
- 1:21:11 – The evolution of training congruent to safety
- 1:26:10 – How to maintain good body composition?
- 1:33:22 – How to execute plank rows?
- 1:39:53 – Is the plank row a sufficient lower back exercise?
- 1:41:32 – Bill’s recommended exercise for lower back strength
- 1:48:41 – What are the dangers of hyperextension?
- 1:52:23 – Is the side bend a good lower back exercise?
- 1:58:24 – Find out more about Bill DeSimone
- 2:01:25 – Overview of The Joint-Friendly Fitness Project
- 2:08:21 – Bill’s functional training course at HITuni
Selected Links for the Episode
- Optimal Exercise
- Central New Jersey
- Congruent Exercise: How To Make Weight Training Easier On Your Joints by Bill DeSimone
- Joint-Friendly Fitness Project
- Cooper’s Aerobic
- Nautilus Machines
- Wrist Roller
- Congruent Chin Up
- Sports Injuries Guidebook by Robert S. Gotlin
- Shoulder Impingement
- Glenoid Cavity
- MedX Machines
- Resistance Exercise Conference
- The Zone Diet
- Suspension Training/TRX
- How to perform plank rows
- Plank Exercises
- Fit Ball
- BOSU Ball
- Cybex Isokinetics Machines
- Learn about the “side bend” from James Fisher PhD here
- Quadratus Lumborum
- The 22 Immutable Laws of Marketing: Violate Them at Your Own Risk! by Al Ries and Jack Trout
- Nautilus Bulletins #1 and #2
- Grolsch Beer
- Body by Science: A Research Based Program for Strength Training, Body building, and Complete Fitness in 12 Minutes a Week by Doug McGuff and John Little
- Dr. Doug McGuff (Listen to my episodes with Doug here: Part 1, Part 2, Part 3, Part 4, and Part 5)
- Simon Shawcross (Listen to my episodes with Simon here: Part 1, Part 2 and Part 3)
- Dr. Ellington Darden
- Arthur Jones
- Mike Mentzer
- Ken Hutchins
- Greg Anderson (Listen to my episode with Greg HERE)
- Frank Zane
- Arnold Schwarzenegger
- Dr. Barry Sears
- Dr. Stuart McGill
- Dr. James Fisher (Listen to my episodes with James here: Part 1, Part 2, Part 3, Part 4, Part 5)
- Adam Zickerman (Listen to my episodes with Adam Zickerman here: Part 1 and Part 2)
- Roger Schwab (Listen to my episode with Roger HERE)
- Fred Fornicola