Dave Smith PhD (d.d.smith @ mmu.ac.uk) is a Health Care and Professions Council registered Sport and Chartered Exercise Psychologist. He is currently Senior Lecturer in Sport and Exercise Psychology at Manchester Metropolitan University and Associate Editor of The Sport Psychologist, which is one of the most prominent peer-reviewed sport psychology journals.
His research interests include psychological issues in bodybuilding and strength training, psychological skills training (particular imagery), and low back pain. He is a former personal trainer with a specific interest in high-intensity training, and also has interests in target and precision sports, and thought/decision making processes in sport and other contexts.
Listen to Part 1 HERE
In this episode, Dave and I continue to discuss the different cognitive biases, how they impact decision making, how to understand each biases to make better decisions, and much more.
Access proven systems to make your HIT studio highly profitable inside HIT Business Membership
Enjoy the show using buttons and links below!
- Listen to it on Apple Podcasts
- Stream by clicking here
- Download as an MP3 by right-clicking here and choosing “save as”
This episode is brought to you by ARXFit.com, ARX are the most innovative, efficient and effective all-in-one exercise machines I have ever seen. I was really impressed with my ARX workout. The intensity and adaptive resistance were unlike anything I’ve ever experienced. I love how the machine enables you to increase the negative load to fatigue target muscles more quickly and I love how the workouts are effortlessly quantified. The software tracks maximum force output, rate of work, total amount of work done and more in front of you on-screen, allowing you to compete with your pervious performance, to give you and your clients real-time motivation.
As well as being utilized by many HIT trainers to deliver highly effective and efficient workouts to their clients, ARX comes highly recommended by world-class trainers and brands including Bulletproof, Tony Robbins, and Ben Greenfield Fitness. To find out more about ARX and get $500 OFF install, please go to ARXFit.com and mention “High Intensity Business” in the how did you hear about us field – ORDER HERE
This episode is also brought to you by the Resistance Exercise Conference
Would you like to:
- Learn from the top strength training professionals and researchers?
- Network and connect with other exercise professionals from all over the world?
- And get inspired, rejuvenated, and focused on your strength training business?
I certainly do, and that is why this will be my third appearance at REC. It’s my favourite weekend of the year, and I am so excited to attend again in March 2020.
So why should you attend REC?
Well, firstly, there will be keynote presentations from exercise icons like Dr. Bente Klarlund Pedersen, Stuart Phillips PhD, James Fisher PhD, and Luke Carlson.
As a studio owner, you will learn business tactics and strategies on how to grow your business from the CEO of Discover Strength, the highest revenue producing strength training company in the nation. Moreover, you will grow your network by connecting with other strength training business owners from around the world.
As a personal trainer, REC will provide you with tangible training techniques to take back to your clients to implement right away for better results. REC is approved by ACSM, NASM, ACE, and NSCA for continuing education credits.
The conference will be held on the 27th and 28th March 2020 at the gorgeous Graduate Hotel, in Minneapolis, Minnesota.
Join me and register now over at ResistanceExerciseConference.com
If you want to take your strength training business to the next level and build a world class personal training and business network, you must attend. Please register now over at ResistanceExerciseConference.com
- 3:22 – Recency bias in property investment
- 20:11 – Narrative fallacy in business
- 25:10 – Comparative bias in High Intensity Training
- 35:46 – The self-serving bias
- 39:06 – Confirmation bias and the rise of dietary tribalism
- 43:34 – How to overcome cognitive biases
- 51:32 – The actor-observer bias
Selected Links from the Episode
- The Health and Care Professions Council (HCPC)
- Manchester Metropolitan University
- The Sport Psychologist
- Cognitive Biases
- Norman Invasion of 1066
- Domesday Book
- Rich Dad Poor Dad: What the Rich Teach Their Kids About Money That the Poor and Middle Class Do Not! by Robert Kiyosaki
- Traction: Get a Grip on Your Business by Gino Wickman
- Entrepreneurial Operating System®
- Discover Strength
- 12 Rules for Life: An Antidote to Chaos by Jordan Peterson
- The Joe Rogan Experience