In addition to founding Pure Physique and serving as the president of the International Association of Resistance Trainers (IART), Mike Lipowski is a professional natural bodybuilder, international fitness speaker and author, co-founder of the Drug-Free Athlete’s Coalition (DFAC), and has been voted Westchester’s Best Personal Trainer.
He works with fitness professionals, competitors, and everyday people who are looking to set and reach their health, fitness, and lifestyle goals using an “untraditional but focused” approach, helping clients develop the best version of themselves through applied muscle and strength science.
Giveaway: Corporate Warrior listeners can get a FREE 92-page eBook written by Mike Lipowski, detailing the exercise science principles, concepts, approach, and training methods he uses as a HIT-based bodybuilder. Get your copy here.
- Mike’s Official Website
- Pure Physique Official Website
- Mike Lipowski on Facebook
- Pure Physique on Facebook
- Mike Lipowski on Instagram
- Pure Physique on Instagram
- mikel [@] purephysique.com
In this episode we cover:
- How to prepare for bodybuilding competitions 12, 6, and 3 months out
- How to determine your muscle fibre type composition
- How to design workouts based on your muscle fibre types
- … and much more!
- Listen to it on iTunes.
- Stream by clicking here.
- Download as an MP3 by right-clicking here and choosing “save as”.
This episode is brought to you by Hituni.com, providers of the best online courses in high intensity training that come highly recommended by Dr. Doug McGuff and Discover Strength CEO, Luke Carlson. Course contributors include world-class exercise experts like Drew Baye, Ellington Darden and Skyler Tanner. There are courses for both trainers and trainees. So even if you’re not a trainer but someone who practices HIT, this course can help you figure out how to improve your progress and get best results. Check out Hituni.com, add the course you want to your shopping cart and enter the coupon code ‘CW10’ to get 10% off your purchase!
This episode is brought to you by Exercise Science LLC, your one-stop shop for all your exercise needs. Exercise Science, a high intensity strength training studio based out of New Orleans, is owned and run by Exercise Physiologist and Body By Science contributor, Ryan Hall. Ryan has been featured on the podcast twice and both are among my most popular episodes of all time. Exercise Science LLC have the expertise, experience and the tools to maximise physical strength, improve performance and functional capacity in just 12 minutes per session. I’m a big fan of Ryan and if I were living in New Orleans, I would seriously sign up in a heart beat. To book a consultation now – click here.
To subscribe via email and get my FREE eBook with 6 podcast transcripts with guests like Dr. Doug McGuff, Drew Baye and Skyler Tanner – Click here
QUESTION OF THE DAY: How do you prepare for a bodybuilding competition? Please let me know in the comments at the bottom of this post.
Scroll down for links and show notes…
Click the link below to listen from the exact time stamp on Overcast:
- Mike talks about his history in bodybuilding [5:53]
- How did Mike prepare for bodybuilding competitions early on? [9:00]
- Training using “Blitzing” and non-HIT natural bodybuilding [11:28]
- What training protocols has Mike used in the past? [14:38]
- How would Mike prepare for bodybuilding competitions now? [16:54]
- Mike’s training philosophy [22:24]
- What does Mike’s current training protocol look like? [25:40]
- The pitfalls of rigidly sticking to just one training protocol [27:48]
- Does Mike tweak his training protocol before or after competitions? [30:09]
- Mike’s approach to diet and nutrition [32:51]
- On increasing caloric intake, metabolism, fat loss, and the leptin factor [34:48]
- What does Mike’s typical day look like, in terms of diet and nutrition? [38:12]
- Has Mike learned anything recently that might benefit him in future competitions? [41:06]
- What has Mike learned from bodybuilding that has benefited him personally and professionally? [44:09]
- On testing your muscle fibre type with the Rate of Fatigue test [48:06]
- How does Mike introduce clients to his workout protocols? [53:34]
- Mike goes into detail on training cycles [56:02]
- How important is individualized training? [57:23]
- Has Mike changed his mind about anything regarding training and exercise recently? [58:16]
- Mike’s parting thoughts and advice on bodybuilding [1:03:24]
Selected Links from the Episode
- Natural Bodybuilding
- Nautilus Resistance Equipment
- Super Slow High Intensity Training
- International Association of Resistance Trainers (IART)
- Zone Training (Volume 1): The JReps Method by Brian D. Johnston and Andrew Shortt ( Amazon US / Amazon UK )
- Zone Training (Volume 2): JReps Exploded View by Brian D. Johnston and Andrew Shortt ( Amazon US / Amazon UK )
- Z3: Revelations (Zone Training Volume 3) by Brian Johnston D. and Andrew Shortt ( Amazon US / Amazon UK )
- Reg Park’s 5×5 training program
- High Density Training (HDT)
- Body by Science by Dr. Doug McGuff and John Little (Amazon US / Amazon UK)
- The Organic Protein Company – Organic Whey Protein (Amazon UK)
- Glycemic Index
- Muscle Fiber Testing – Mike Lipowski