Martin Gibala PhD (@Gibalam) is a professor and chair of the Department of Kinesiology at McMaster University in Hamilton, Canada. His research on the health benefits of interval training has attracted immense scientific attention and worldwide media coverage. He is the author of a bestselling book, The One-Minute Workout: Science Shows a Way to Get Fit That’s Smarter, Faster, Shorter.
Martin has published more than a hundred peer-reviewed articles, is frequently invited to speak at international scientific meetings, and has received multiple awards for teaching excellence.
Listen to my first podcast with Martin HERE
In this follow-up episode, I took some time to digest Martin’s comments in Part 1, read more scientific literature, and use your questions and comments to expand on our first conversation.
There has been a lot of debate in the high intensity strength training (HIST) community about whether or not high intensity interval training is an important adjunct for optimising cardiovascular fitness and health span.
- How important is HIIT if you’re already doing HIST?
- How long does it take for cardiovascular fitness to de-condition?
- How much can you improve your VO2 max and how much is genetic?
- An ideal template for overall fitness
- … and much, much more
- Listen to it on Apple Podcasts
- Stream by clicking here
- Download as an MP3 by right-clicking here and choosing “save as”
Learn how to grow your high intensity strength training business – Click Here
This episode is brought to you by ARXFit.com, ARX are the most innovative, efficient and effective all-in-one exercise machines I have ever seen. I was really impressed with my ARX workout. The intensity and adaptive resistance were unlike anything I’ve ever experienced. I love how the machine enables you to increase the negative load to fatigue target muscles more quickly and I love how the workouts are effortlessly quantified. The software tracks maximum force output, rate of work, total amount of work done and more in front of you on-screen, allowing you to compete with your pervious performance, to give you and your clients real-time motivation.
As well as being utilised by many HIT trainers to deliver highly effective and efficient workouts to their clients, ARX comes highly recommended by world-class trainers and brands including Bulletproof, Tony Robbins, and Ben Greenfield Fitness. To find out more about ARX and get $500 OFF install, please go to ARXFit.com and mention Corporate Warrior in the how did you hear about us field – Learn more HERE
Selected Links from the Episode
- VO2 Max
- High-intensity interval training (HIIT)
- High intensity strength training (HIT)
- Impact of Lifelong Exercise “Dose” on Left Ventricular Compliance and Distensibility
- Body by Science: A Research Based Program for Strength Training, Body building, and Complete Fitness in 12 Minutes a Week by Dr Doug McGuff and John R. Little
- Six sessions of sprint interval training increases muscle oxidative potential and cycle endurance capacity in humans
- Short‐term sprint interval versus traditional endurance training: similar initial adaptations in human skeletal muscle and exercise performance
- Resistance training to momentary muscular failure improves cardiovascular fitness in humans: A review of acute physiological responses and chronic physiological Adaptations
- Resistance training induced increase in VO2max in young and older subjects
- Wingate test
- Martin Gibala’s research
- Dr James Fisher (Listen to my episodes with James here: Part 1, Part 2, Part 3, Part 4, and Part 5)
- Dr. James Steele (Listen to my episodes with James here: Part 1, Part 2, Part 3, Part 4, and Part 5)
- Dr Doug McGuff (Listen to my episodes with Doug here: Part 1, Part 2, Part 3, Part 4, and Part 5)
- Takashi Abe PhD
- Dr Jeremy Leonneke (Listen to my episodes with Jeremy here: Part 1 and Part 2)
- Dr Stuart Phillips (Listen to my episodes with Stuart here: Part 1 and Part 2)