Dr. Stuart M. Phillips is an award-winning professor at McMaster University’s Department of Kinesiology, the Director of the Physical Activity Centre of Excellence (PACE) and the McMaster Centre for Nutrition, Exercise, and Health Research, and a Tier 1 Canada Research Chair in Skeletal Muscle Health.
Dr Phillips is one of the most sought after and well-respected researchers on the impact of nutrition and exercise on muscle and muscle protein turnover.
In this episode, we discuss:
- Common misapplications when implementing the “science” in training and diet
- How important is time-under-tension for optimal gains?
- Are carbohydrates required to maximise muscle gain?
- Protein quality
- … and much more
- Listen to it on iTunes.
- Stream by clicking here.
- Download as an MP3 by right-clicking here and choosing “save as”.
Would you like to learn more from Dr Stuart Phillips? Listen to this episode where we discuss progressive overload, single-joint vs multi-joint exercises, high-intensity training and much more. Listen to it here (stream below or right-click to download):
This episode is brought to you by the Resistance Exercise Conference – The Science and Application of Strength Training for Health and Human Performance. You will learn from the top strength training researchers, connect with exercise professionals from all over the world, get a workout from an expert trainer and get inspired, rejuvenated and focused on your strength training business.
You will get the chance to chat with people like Dr James Fisher, Luke Carlson, and Jim Flanagan. I will be attending with many of the Corporate Warrior listeners and I’d love to meet you in person. The resistance exercise conference will be held on the 9th and 10th of March 2018 in Minneapolis, Minnesota at The Graduate Hotel.
I’m very excited about this and have wanted to attend for years. Sign up now at ResistanceExerciseConference.com, get 10% off your entry fee with promo code corporatewarrior10 and I look forward to meeting you in person!
Selected Links from the Episode
- FREE HIT workout progress sheet and podcast transcripts eBook with guests like Dr. Doug McGuff, Drew Baye, and Skyler Tanner
- Sports periodization
- Manipulating muscle protein turnover to maximize exercise adaptations, Stuart Phillips
- Prof Stuart Phillips: How Much Protein Should You Have a Day + Keto/Low Carb Needs
- High-intensity training
- Motor units
- Protein sparing
- Zero carb diet
- Intermittent fasting
- Hypocaloric diet
- Branched chain amino acids (BCAAs) – ( Amazon US / Amazon UK )
- Value judgement
- Ascent whey protein ( Amazon US / Amazon UK )
- Mechanistic target of rapamycin (mTOR)
- Vitamin D ( Amazon US / Amazon UK )
- Insulin-like growth factor 1 (IGF-1)
- Neil Gaiman
- Dr. James Steele (Listen to my episodes with James here: Part 1,Part 2, Part 3, and Part 4)
- Dr. Paulo Gentil
- Dr Jeremy Leonneke (Listen to our episode here)
- Hans Selye
- Dr Doug McGuff (Part 1, Part 2, Part 3, and Part 4)
- Mark Strough (Listen to our episode here)
- Alan Aragorn
- Michelle Segar
- James Krieger (Listen to the episode with James here)
- Dr. Brad Schoenfeld (Listen to my episodes with Brad here: Part 1 and Part 2)
- Skyler Tanner (Listen to my episodes with Skyler here: Part 1, Part 2, Part 3, Part 4, Part 5, and Part 6)
- Martin Gibala
- Menno Henselmans
- Eric Helms