Dr. Bryce Lee (bryce @ strength-space.com) is a former Surface Warfare Naval Officer turned Director of Therapy and Co-founder of StrengthSpace, a provider of resistance-based exercise and physical therapy services located in Chesapeake, Virginia. He is a former CrossFit and Kettlebell addict and following a string of acute and overuse training injuries, became a Body By Science devotee, and eventually began training a few private clients, mainly as a hobby.
Bryce’s doctoral program focused on orthopedics, pain neuroscience and the relationship between systemic inflammation and “mechanical” disorders like tendinopathy and osteoarthritis.
Listen to Dr. Bryce Lee’s first appearance on the podcast HERE
In this episode, Bryce describes how fatigue correlates with muscle activation, muscle activation techniques (MAT), if MAT adds value to HIT and much more.
Learn how to generate more profit in your high intensity training business and join the HIT Business Membership
Enjoy the show!
- Listen to it on Apple Podcasts
- Stream by clicking here
- Download as an MP3 by right-clicking here and choosing “save as”
- 1:55 – What is muscle activation?
- 4:32 – What is arthrogenic inhibition?
- 10:09 – Vladimir Janda’s upper and lower crossed syndromes
- 15:07 – How muscle fatigue correlates with muscle activation?
- 25:17 – Muscle Activation Techniques vs. Placebo Effect
- 31:53 – Bryce’s thoughts on the emergence of many proprietary techniques
- 42:05 – Importance of evidence in choosing effective exercises/techniques
- 49:58 – Why muscle activation techniques or proprietary techniques are prevalent
- 54:01 – Why muscle activation techniques aren’t that popular in HIT
- 57:15 – How muscle activation techniques adds value to HIT
- 1:01:18 – Bryce’s thoughts on the evolution and diversity of fitness studios
- 1:05:06 – How to recognize that you’re going beyond your level of expertise as a trainer
- 1:17:44 – How Bryce makes his revenue streams efficient
Selected Links from the Episode
- Arthrogenic Inhibitions
- Gluteal Amnesia
- Janda’s Crossed Syndromes
- Placeboo Effect video by Lorimer Moseley
- Carnivore Cast Podcast
- Muscle Hypertrophy
- Sauna Treatment
- Cold Immersion Therapy
- Swiss Ball
- CAR.O.L. Bike
- Vasper Machines
- Zero App (Apple, Google)
- The E-Myth Revisited: Why Most Small Businesses Don’t Work and What to Do About It by Michael E. Gerber
- Traction: Get a Grip on Your Business by Gino Wickman
- Fitness Candor Podcast
- Old Dominion University
- Khan Academy
- MIT – Massachusetts Institute of Technology
- Harvard University
- Vladimir Janda
- Bret Contreras
- Lorimer Moseley
- Scott Myslinski (Listen to my episode with Scott Here)
- Borge Fagerli (Listen to my episode with Borge Here)
- David Landau (Listen to my episodes with David here: Part 1, Part 2, and Part 3)
- John Little (Listen to my episodes with John here: Part 1, Part 2, Part 3, and Part 4)