Tom Church is the Amazon Best-selling author of Money’s Big Secret, How To Live For Free: The Definitive Guide, 101 Quotes from Great British Women: Wisdom, observations and jokes from inspirational thinkers, a life hacking blogger, a co-founder of the creative design group FullScream UK, a suit tailor, and he also just happens to be Britain’s Sexiest Man.
Tom is an expert in finding the shortcuts to everything, like hacking Google to become Britain’s Sexiest Man and consequently being featured in the Daily Mail, The Mirror, The Metro, The Daily Star, The Lad Bible, Gizmodo and many more. He’s also the founder of London Startups – now one of London’s biggest networking organizations – and does the occasional guest lecture at universities. Prior to being the man of many talents, Tom built a successful career in corporate communications, or PR, for short. Fast forward to now, Tom has co-founded a new business venture called LatestDeals.co.uk.
This episode covers:
- How to create a massive impact with very little effort
- How to leverage online marketing to get journalists to write about you
- Tom’s thoughts on intelligence, rapid learning, and executing ideas quickly
- How to save and make more money by investing wisely and making smart financial decisions
- Tom’s approach to motivation, creativity, and achieving goals
- And much more!
- Listen to it on iTunes.
- Stream by clicking here.
- Download as an MP3 by right-clicking here and choosing “save as”.
- Why is Tom Church the Sexiest Man in Britain? [6:15]
- Tom explains how he hacked Google to become Britain’s Sexiest Man – and why he did it [7:40]
- How his fifteen minutes of fame impacted his online presence – and his life [13:29]
- Apparently, you can legally change your name to “Sexiest Man” (or even “God”) [15:47]
- How Tom decides what projects to do next, his thoughts on serendipity, opportunities, and randomness [17:58]
- Hitler fought in World War I and would have died, but a British soldier let him live [24:21]
- Tom talks about the power and importance of PR for entrepreneurs in the information age – and how to leverage it [26:26]
- Why and how you should reach out to journalists to market yourself [27:40]
- The right way to do a media meet and get people to write about you [30:27]
- Tom walks Lawrence through what he should do if he wanted to get featured on Lifehacker [35:00]
- Why you shouldn’t create an intricate master plan – and what you should do instead [36:36]
- On finances: how to save more money, how to make more money, and Tom’s book “Money’s Big Secret” [37:43]
- Tom talks about the history of money and its true nature [40:05]
- How changing your relationship with money affects how you think about your finances – and your debt [45:07]
- How much money should you have stored away for emergencies and when should you invest? [49:52]
- Tom talks about compound interest – what it is and why you should care [52:55]
- What’s the most effective way to invest your money? [54:50]
- Who lost and who gained after Brexit, and why? [56:40]
- Tom on what Class 8 equity is and why he chooses it over Class 10 [58:12]
- Which types of investments and investment platforms should you choose? [1:00:55]
- What does Tom think about credit cards and cashback incentives? [1:06:57]
- Why you should look into high-interest current accounts (spoiler alert: free money!) [1:10:08]
- On credit cards, willpower, and making the right choices [1:11:43]
- Tom talks about getting your finances in order with the 3-30 Money Diet [1:14:20]
- Tim Ferriss and Seneca on Practicing Poverty [1:15:52]
- Tom’s thoughts on Land Investment [1:19:30]
- “The Black Swan” author Nassim Taleb’s thoughts on unpredictability and investment [1:22:34]
- How much have Tim Ferriss and Kevin Rose made from their startup investments? [1:22:50]
- More of Tom’s financial tips and hacks [1:24:57]
- Tom talks about motivation, creativity, and productivity [1:27:46]
- On growing older, Epicurus, Siddhartha (Buddha), and chasing happiness [1:31:14]
- Tom talks about how Capoeira has helped him in life [1:37:54]
- What’s one of the best ways to develop relationships today? [1:41:33]
- What happens when money fails, and what sort of backup plan should you have? [1:42:45]
- On how to maximize your intelligence and your cognitive potential [1:44:48]
- Tom talks about the psychology of achieving your goals [1:50:29]
- What does a day in the life of Tom Church, Suit Tailor look like? [1:55:00]
- How did Tom get started in suit tailoring? [1:58:44]
- Business lessons from a small, traditional, family-owned suit tailoring business [2:00:55]
- Tom’s next big project [2:04:16]
Selected Links From The Episode
- Tom Church’s Books:
- Money’s Big Secret: The strategies they didn’t teach you to slash debt, save more and invest safely with time (Amazon US / Amazon UK)
- How To Live For Free: The Definitive Guide (Amazon US / Amazon UK)
- 101 Quotes from Great British Women: Wisdom, observations and jokes from inspirational thinkers (Amazon US / Amazon UK)
- How I tricked Google into believing I’m Britain’s Sexiest Man by Tom Church
- The Black Swan: Second Edition: The Impact of the Highly Improbable Fragility (Incerto) by Nassim Nicholas Taleb (Amazon US / Amazon UK)
- Tending the Epicurean Garden by Hiram Crespo (Amazon US / Amazon UK)
- Siddhartha by Herman Hesse (Amazon US / Amazon UK)
- Gentleman: A Timeless Guide to Fashion by Bernhard Roetzel (Amazon US / Amazon UK)
- The London Cut: Savile Row Bespoke Tailoring by James Sherwood (Amazon US / Amazon UK)
- How to Win Friends & Influence People by Dale Carnegie (Amazon US / Amazon UK)
- Legally change your name in the UK
- Change your name and personal details on your passport
- Change the name or gender on your driving licence
- Albert Einstein on Compound Interest
- You can increase your intelligence: 5 ways to maximize your cognitive potential by Andrea Kuszewski
- The Four Hour Workweek London Meetup
- Nutmeg: Online Investment Management and Portfolios
- Hargreaves Lansdown and the Vanguard LifeStrategy 80% Equity fund
- TSB and the Classic Plus Account
- Land Invest Group
- Rich Dad Poor Dad: What The Rich Teach Their Kids About Money That the Poor and Middle Class Do Not! (Amazon US / Amazon UK)
- Abundance Investment
- Tom Church’s Debt Calculator
- A Simple mind hack that helps beat procrastination
- Downton Abbey
- Chadō – Japanese Tea Ceremony
- Example PR email template:
Subject: Re: Coffee? Introduction to new HotUKDeals competitorBe glad to. I’m at the BBC until 17 June so any day before then
On 01 June 2016 at 14:43 Thomas Church <[email protected]> wrote:
Good afternoon Simon,
I hope you’re keeping very well. You may remember a short while ago I tweeted you.
I have partnered with Deepak Tailor, BBC Dragon’s Den winner who was backed by Deborah Meaden, to form LatestDeals.co.uk.
It’s under development, but I can tell you now it’s going to hugely disrupt the business model of XXXXXXX and similar sites (to the advantage of the consumer).
Would it be possible, if you had 15 minutes, to meet you for a quick coffee and see what you think?
I’d be more than happy to come to the Cafe Nero at BBC Broadcasting House if you’re based there or wherever really!
Either way, thank you very much for your time,
With best wishes,