Andrew Shortt is an experienced Master Fitness Clinician™ and one of very few to have achieved the status under IART (International Association of Resistance Training) Founder, Brian D. Johnston. Furthermore, he has been a natural fitness athlete with the IDFA over the past 7 years. Academically, Andrew was three-time IART Fitness Clinician™ of the year and has contributed a large amount of material to the IART portfolio, most notably The Zone Training™ trilogy which he co-authored with Brian D. Johnston.
Contact Andrew at WeFit.ca
In this podcast, we cover:
- Andrew’s thoughts on optimising muscular hypertrophy; specifically how to coax the last 10% of gains.
- The issues with a one size fits all approach to diet and why it must be individualised.
- Andrew’s strategies and techniques for anti-aging including stress management and mitigating EMF.
- His thoughts on negative-only training and the potential for negative long-term effects.
- And much more.
- Listen to it on iTunes.
- Stream by clicking here.
- Download as an MP3 by right-clicking here and choosing “save as”.
Want to hear another episode from a very experienced HIT trainer? — Listen to this interview with Tim Ryan. In this episode, we discuss workout frequency, training to failure, recovery time, what to eat and how to work out to maximize fat loss and muscle gain and more (stream below or right-click here to download):
This episode is brought to you by Hituni.com, providers of the best online courses in high intensity training that come highly recommended by Dr. Doug McGuff and Discover Strength CEO, Luke Carlson. Course contributors include world-class exercise experts like Drew Baye, Ellington Darden and Skyler Tanner. There are courses for both trainers and trainees. So even if you’re not a trainer but someone who practices HIT, this course can help you figure out how to improve your progress and get best results. Check out Hituni.com, add the course you want to your shopping cart and enter the coupon code ‘CW10’ to get 10% off your purchase!
This episode is also brought to you by, former guest, and health and sleep coach, Alex Fergus. Alex has worked with hundreds of clients from all walks of life to help them fall asleep faster and improve their sleep quality, as well as, optimise fat loss, muscle gain, overall health and energy level.
Alex is an accomplished athlete, representing New Zealand in rowing, winning national bodybuilding titles and breaking powerlifting records. He’s absolutely ripped and strong as an ox, and has won the Paleo f(x) RealFit competition 2 years running against some of the most fierce competition around. The first time around, he won the competition training only 15-minutes per week.
Alex attributes much of his success to optimising his sleep. As a former chronically sleep deprived young adult, Alex pays close attention to his sleep and has invested heavily to optimise his own sleep quality for maximum benefit. Alex has devoted much of his time to researching how to improve sleep and has a ton of experience helping his clients with theirs. For a FREE 4 part sleep improvement series with tips that will revolutionise your sleep quality and help you fall asleep faster to give you more energy, improved body composition and better well-being, sign up here.
Click here to get my FREE eBook with 6 podcast transcripts ????
Scroll below for links and show notes…
- Andrew Shortt’s exercise background – how it all began [07:20]
- Why Andrew doesn’t like using MedX machines [12:55]
- The surprising thing about “tough guys” who try HIT [18:14]
- One of the biggest problems in the HIT community [20:10]
- Andrew’s thoughts on the optimal protocol for muscular hypertrophy [20:40]
- Andrew thoughts on Art De Vany’s latest content to sweep the internet [31:45]
- Andrew’s High-Carb diet [36:35]
- The biggest mistake Andrew see’s people make in their nutrition [40:33]
- Does Andrew count calories? [42:50]
- What is Andrew doing for anti-aging? [47:20]
- Andrew’s thoughts on negative-only training [57:20]
- Andrew’s thoughts on EMF and other environmental stress factors [1:00:45]
- Andrew’s thoughts on cold therapies such as ice and cold showers [1:12:55]
- Andrew’s fascination for trail running [1:14:20]
- Best way to contact Andrew [1:17:00]
Selected Links from the Episode
- IART Clinical Fitness Certification
- Dr. Darden’s H.I.T.
- Nautilus Bulletins
- High Intensity Training
- MedX Exercise Equipment
- Muscle Hypertrophy
- The Six Year Itch: Was It All A Waste Of Time? by Skyler Tanner
- The Tim Ferriss Show
- Paleo f(x)
- Evolutionary Fitness by Art De Vany
- Intermittent Fasting (IF)
- Zero-Carb Diet
- Ketogenic Diet
- Paleo Diet
- The Stress of Life by Dr Hans Selye (Amazon US / Amazon UK)
- How to Reverse Aging with Art De Vany | The Blog of Author Tim Ferriss
- Art De Vany on Paleo f(x)
- The Potato Hack: Weight Loss Simplified (Amazon US / Amazon UK)
- EMFs (Electromagnetic Field)
- Therapeutic Uses of Pulsed Magnetic-Field Exposure: A Review
- Trail Running
- Arthur Jones
- Brian D. Johnston
- Mike Mentzer
- Vince Gironda
- Tierney Winett (Andrew’s Life and Business Partner)
- Ronda Rousey
- Fred Hahn (Listen to our podcast here)
- Skyler Tanner (Listen to our podcast: Part 1, Part 2, and Part 3)
- Art De Vany
- Dr Doug McGuff (Listen to our podcast: Part 1, Part 2, and Part 3)
- Tim Ferriss
- Shawn Baker (Listen to our podcast here)
- Dr Hans Selye
- Bruce Lee
What anti-aging strategies are you using? Please comment below.