Dr. Wayne Westcott has written more than 20 books, 400 articles, and 600 newspaper columns on the topic of muscle-building exercise. He has spent thousands of hours in the research lab, presented his findings to tens-of-thousands of seminar attendees, personally educated, tested, and certified many thousands of fitness trainers from around the globe and consulted to some of the most prestigious organizations interested in this business – including The United States Navy, The United States Air Force, several national League Football Teams, General Motors Corporation, The Nautilus Corporation, and the President’s Council on Sports and Physical Fitness.
Lawrence, Wayne is without question, the most impressive single individual in our field. He is prolific in his publication, original research, and writing… his knowledge base in resistance training is unparalleled. He worked closely with everyone at Nautilus in the old days but also has an incredibly academic background and an unbiased, scientific approach to exercise.
– Luke Carlson, CEO, Discover Strength
I loved recording this episode. Wayne is one of the most charming, delightful and modest individuals I’ve had the pleasure to interview. We had a lot of fascinating chit-chat on strength training in this edition.
In this episode, we discuss:
- Why is it important to do strength training?
- How to optimise and balance elevation in metabolic rate with strength training frequency
- Why Wayne advocates people train twice per week in most cases
- How effective is it to use the same routine over a lifetime?
- How to stimulate optimal gains (of course – mustn’t forget that old chestnut)
- What has Wayne changed his mind about regarding exercise and nutrition?
- … and much more
- Listen to it on iTunes.
- Stream by clicking here.
- Download as an MP3 by right-clicking here and choosing “save as”.
Would you like to hear more from a top Exercise Scientist on optimising muscular development? Listen to this episode with Dr James Steele, in which we discuss how increased workout frequency might be better for trained individuals, the pros and cons of training not-to-failure, and much much more. Listen to it here (stream below or right-click to download):
This episode is brought to you by the Resistance Exercise Conference – The science and application of strength training for health and human performance. You will learn from the top strength training researchers, connect with exercise professionals from all over the world, get a workout from an expert trainer and get inspired, rejuvenated and focused on your strength training business. You will get the chance to chat with guys like Dr James Fisher, Luke Carlson, and Jim Flanagan. I will be attending with many of the Corporate Warrior listeners and I’d love to meet you in person. The resistance exercise conference will be held on the 9th and 10th of March 2018 in Minneapolis, Minnesota at The Commons Hotel.
I’m very excited about this and have wanted to attend for years. Sign up now at ResistanceExerciseConference.com, get 10% off with promo code corporatewarrior10 and I look forward to meeting you in person!
Subscribe to my emails to get a FREE HIT workout progress sheet and eBook with 6 podcast transcripts with guests like Dr. Doug McGuff, Drew Baye, and Skyler Tanner – Click here
Selected Links from the Episode
- Throwback Thursday!: Fitness Candor Ep. 20 – Dr. Wayne Westcott
- Strength Training for Baby Boomers and Beyond by Wayne Westcott
- American College of Sports Medicine
- Resistance exercise reverses aging in human skeletal muscle
- Body by Science: A Research Based Program for Strength Training, Body building, and Complete Fitness in 12 Minutes a Week ( Amazon US / Amazon UK )
- Nautilus ONE Four Way Neck
- Dr. James Steele (Listen to my episodes with James here: Part 1, Part 2, and Part 3)
- Dr. James Fisher (Listen to my episodes with James here: Part 1, Part 2, and Part 3)
- Dr. Brad Schoenfeld (Listen to my episodes with Brad here: Part 1 and Part 2)
- Dr Mark Tarnopolsky
- Prof. Bente Klarlund Pedersen
- Dr. Doug McGuff (Listen to my episodes with Doug here: Part 1, Part 2, and Part 3)
- Luke Carlson (Listen to my episodes with Luke here: Part 1, Part 2, Part 3 and Part 4)
- Doug Brignole
- Drew Baye (Listen to my episodes with Drew here: Part 1, Part 2, Part 3, Part 4, Part 5, Part 6)
- Skyler Tanner (Listen to my episodes with Skyler here: Part 1, Part 2, Part 3, Part 4, Part 5, and Part 6)
- Tom Brady
- Arthur Jones
- Dr. Stuart Phillips (Listen to the episode with Stuart here)